Rejection[?...] [ShinKai]

Start from the beginning

***

[Present]

Kaito didn't respond at that time and remained standing in front of Shinichi. He doesn't remembered what exactly happened but all he could remember is snapping back to reality, with the hoodie Shinichi is wearing wrapped around him. This just gave him more reason to fall deeply for the detective, even after years went by he can still somehow smell Shinichi's scent in the hoodie even after washing it.. has he fallen that much for him?

Seeing the fade coffee stained on the sleeves made him smiled and stopped crying. It was like his love for Shinichi; No matter how many times you try to remove it, it may seemed like it has disappeared but if you look closely... it's still there

***

"Kuroba, are you alright?" Shinichi asked after placing down the half drank coffee on the table.

"O-of course! Why did you asked?" Kaito asked nervously as he nearly choked from the dessert he was eating.

"Your eyes are... never mind."

It was already the next day and like always, Kaito and Shinichi would eat lunch together while making small talks about their day. His eyes must've been red from all the crying he did last night huh? It was no surprised that Shinichi would noticed since.. this is not the first time he had seen the redness of the magician's eyes. Kaito didn't want Shinichi to find the reason for his tears so he quickly changed the topic and soon, the cries for his beloved Metantei that night was slowly forgotten and is now replaced by this moment. 

No matter how many years had already passed, Kaito knows that it will be a difficult task to forget about these feelings he harbors for his Metantei. It was already hard to not fall for him even more but he knows that he will only get himself hurt if this continues on. But it's hard, really hard to just moved on.. Shinichi is just right there, in front of him but why does it feel like he's not within his grasp? If he did reached out once more, it feels like they will soon drift apart from each other.. 

Suddenly feeling a pain on his forehead, he finally snapped back to reality while he rubs the spot Shinichi had flicked his forehead at. 

"You're not listening aren't you? Tell me, did... something happened last night?" Shinichi asked, concern that something has been bothering his friend.

Kaito was already expecting that sooner or later, Shinichi will finally asked what's been happening to him since.. These past few days, the weight in his heart has becoming even more unbearable to the point of breaking down every night. It's much more worse than a year ago, this time for sure, he will soon break himself to the point of no return.. 

Hiding the pain and misery behind his poker face, he grinned widely at Shinichi then tossed him a small ball which Shinichi didn't see coming as it suddenly exploded, covering him up with pink edible powder. 

"... Right, I shouldn't have asked. "

"It's best to hide everything from you, Shinichi."

What Kaito didn't know is that Shinichi saw through him, he is no mere detective after all which is why the guilt that he has been ignoring finally began to eat him up once again.

"I'm sorry, Kaito."

***

"Shi.. nichi?.."