Chapter Twenty-Three - Kittens

Staring at the clock on the stove just screams at me that no time at all has passed as the large red 9:04 am looks back at me. I look around impatient, there is no way that I am making it through this by just waiting for Jack to get home. Outside it looks like it's going to rain... Just perfect for me to sneak out. Do I really think that I can get past blondie and mean face?

I sigh leaning my head back looking at the ceiling. Then I got the best worst idea ever. I am usually easy to spot- my clothes are brightly colored and I don't hide but what if I dress like Max or Jack? They always want to be unnoticed by everyone- I can just turn it into me... right?

I smile, that's perfect! If the bodyguards don't recognize me then they won't follow me. And besides Jack probably already told them what is going on so they aren't going to think I am going to sneak out now!

After a couple of minutes I have put on at least 3 of Jack's sweatshirts, sweatpants and I think I finally look different enough. I tried to get more of a manly shape. My shoulders are much more square and I feel like I covered up my dancer figure pretty good. I look into the mirror seeing black sweatpants and a black hoodie on top with a logo I don't recognize at all. I guess Jack's all-black clothing is finally going to pay off in contrasting what I usually wear. My face starts turning red from being too hot in all these clothing.

I need to make my move now before I overheat. Putting the hood up I head out the door and to the elevator.

Waiting for it my nerves start to act up... I did just tell him I would stay put but there is no way he can expect me to just sit there after that conversation right?

I guess we will find out if my guards are on high alert or not

Getting into the elevator my mind starts to wander, I miss Max so much and I wish I could talk to her about all of this. I feel like she would explain so much to me. Looking at my phone I know I could call Kat but after everything that is going on, should I really drag her into this too before I even talk to Jack. My mind takes a cause- my brother came down to the city to work with Jack!

Oh my god, I am going to kill him when he gets home! Did he recruit my own brother to join his gang? I can feel myself getting upset- that also means that Zach knew about all of this way before I even did. They are both so dead.

The extra anger fuels me as I use to stride out of the elevator and out the door. Not feeling nervous at all.

After a block or two, I turn around and lean against the building pretending to look at my phone. And no one follows me... I wonder if my anger helped those guards not recognize me either? I'm sure my face is red alright. I smile at my victory. Dawn 1 Jack 0

Looking down at my phone I can see that barely any time has passed and I sigh. I may have won the battle but the war on being worried today is winning. I head down the block towards a coffee shop I saw on google maps before I went downstairs. What? I kinda sorta planned this out.

Finally, when I get there I grab a muffin and wait for my coffee. The whole shop is warm and inviting. The nasty New York City weather outside seems to fade away, from the warm brick walls and lighting. The front windows are frosted and the moisture from the cold outside and cold windows make it almost impossible to see out of them. The whole place is almost all booths except some high top tables along the brick wall. I smile. It reminds me of my old coffee shop at home.

Grabbing my coffee I head to one of the high-top tables. This just gives me vibes from when Jack and I used to have days hanging out like this. I should bring him here when he gets home. I pause at that thought- I wonder if he would even come here being in a gang and all. What does that even mean and is he even going to let me have days like this anymore? Let me? Get ahold of yourself Dawn, you're an adult and you will do what you please.