Chapter Twenty- Start Unpacking

Start from the beginning

I look up at the shining building with someone washing the windows as we walk in. I know that this is way out of my price range, but I'm not going to just freeload off of Jack even though he can afford it.

I finally speak to him as we walk up to the doorman who lets us in without a word, "I won't be able to give you much for rent but I probably give you a little more than what I paid with Max." I say quietly as we walk over the beautiful granite floors to the elevator making me feel even smaller.

Jack looks at me sideways confused and puts his arm around my shoulder. I don't know why I let him do that.... Don't ask me!

"I'm not expecting you to pay me rent when you had no choice in this Dawn," he pushes the button on the elevator.

I shrug, "I can't just not pay you, Jack." I give him a look, trying to get him to realize I'm not going to let it go.

"Fine, but we will figure that out after you settle in." He gives up as we get into the elevator, but the men that were walking with us stop at the door standing on either side of it as Jack and I go up alone. I sigh out loud without meaning to in my frustration that I am the only one in the dark here. I feel Jack stiffen next to me when I sigh but he doesn't say anything.

Finally, we get to the floor and the elevator stops, but the door doesn't open. I look at Jack scared that the elevator is broken. He gives a small smirk that he tries to hide,
"You have to enter a code to get onto this floor- it's 0248" he enters it and the door opens. "If you forget it just text me and I'll send it to you again" We walk through into a small hallway with maybe 5 or 6 other apartments.

"Who lives in the other ones?" I question, wondering if I am going to be surrounded by other suspicious business people.

Jack shrugs, "Normally there aren't people in them, I think a doctor is living in the one down there." He points to the other end of the hallway, "but he usually works nights so I don't see him much."

I look at him with shock, "I'm surprised they must be really nice as your place.."

Jack shrugs, and walks to the right of the elevator, "That is partly why I choose to live here, the super-rich don't want something this small so they are a few floors up, and people tend to move in then right back out when they can get something better."

He walks in and holds the door for me to come in, and all my boxes litter all over his beautiful apartment, but I won't let me know I feel bad about it. I set down my bag on one of the boxes, as Jack motions for me to follow him.

"Last night I cleared out some space for you," He says as we go into the bedroom, I look as the 'some' space is his entire closet. Jack continues, " You can put your things in here if you need more room just tell me... " I stand there in shock as he continues to ramble on, I finally pull out of the shock of what is happening.

"Wait what?" I ask him to repeat himself.

That seems to bring Jack back from his rambling, "Oh I'll be on the couch so I don't wake you up from my weird work hours."

I shake my head, "No Jack this is your place I can't take your bed,"

"Yes you will," He says and dismisses it waving his hand for me to follow him before I can answer.

"You know where a lot of things are and I stocked the fridge last night too so while I'm away you don't have to worry." He explains as he picks up a luggage bag that was in the mix of the boxes. I frown confused.... Well about everything honestly.

"While you are away?" I choose to question that first.

Jack nods, "Ya I have a flight to catch in like an hour or so."

"An hour??" I look at him like he is crazy, "Where are you going? You trust just leaving me here?" I question him and start to feel my anger coming back.

"I know you're safe here and I figured you wouldn't want to be around me anyway." He says so bluntly.

I can feel my face getting red, "You're right, I don't." I turn my back to him, and say "I'll see you when you get back."

I hear Jack sigh, and grab his bag, "It should only be a couple of days, I'll text you when I'm on my way back."

"Okay," I answer obviously mad he would just bring me here and leave me for what a couple of DAYS?? I hear him leave and lock the door behind him. I stand up and sigh looking around to this box-filled apartment that is now apparently my home.

I walk over and flop onto his really comfy couch and start looking around. I could always just leave and find another place while he is gone but for some reason, I believe him and Max that it's not safe. I look to my left at the door with about a million different locks on it. Okay, not a million but you get what I mean. They said that people were following me, the shooting even on Coney Island, and basically admitting she was beaten up. I sigh I know that they are not just from normal rich families that just own bars. Especially since Max's and Jack's families just don't seem to get along randomly. I call bullshit, excuse my language.

I cuddle into the couch still tired from packing all night. Honestly, I would rather just sleep on this couch, and I feel myself starting to fall asleep as I try to sleep away this horrible day. 

__________________________________

HAPPY NEW YEARS EVE!!

What are everyone's plans for 2021? Any resolutions? 

Mine is to finish this book and to finish the next/last one in the series by the end of 2021. We will see if I can actually pull this off or not   :) 

Love you all and I wish you the best in 2021 <3

Love Mama Em