Chapter 02

Weeks have quickly passed, with me occasionally having to deflect a hex here and there that was flung towards Severus from Potter and Black. It was now the week before Christmas Holiday.

"Are you sure you can't come to my place for Christmas?" I asked Severus.

"Yeah, my mum would never allow it. You know that." He replied.

"Well, can I come there then?" I asked, catching him off-guard.

"I'd rather you not actually." He replied sighing, making me remember he's been bullied at home too by his own family.

"I want to be there for you Severus, maybe I can be the one to put your family in their place." I stated, making him smirk a little.

We then walked into Potions class.

"My mum would kill you." He stated as we took our seats.

I sighed a little before we got started on the potion for today's lesson. Veratiserum. We were told that we wouldn't be able to test it, since it's forbidden for us to do so in school, but I had a hunch that Potter and Black wouldn't listen to that.

"Oi, Darlington!" Potter whispered, making me roll my eyes before looking at him.

"What-" I was cut off as he flicked a drop of Veratiserum into my mouth. "POTTER!" I screamed at him.

"What happened Miss Darlington?" Slughorn asked.

"Potter flicked a drop of Veratiserum into my mouth!" I exclaimed as I was pissed.

"What's your favorite subject?" Potter asked.

"Transfigurations." I replied, before looking up at Slughorn with wide eyes. "I love Potions too, but I like Transfigurations more." I added. "Damnit Potter, I will bloody hex you!" I hissed.

"I'm not offended Miss Darlington, I figured you liked Minerva's class more as you're the best in her class." Slughorn smiled.

"Um, yes, Professor." I replied.

"What do you dream about at night Darlington?" Black sniggered.

"I don't dream." I replied flatly, making his face drop. "When I do, they're premonitions." I added with a shrug.

"Alright, no more questions towards Miss Darlington! Potter, Black, detention and 10 points from Gryffindor." Slughorn exclaimed.

"At least it wasn't you." I whispered to Severus, who was looking at me worriedly.

"Yeah, no kidding." He replied in a whisper also.

"Hey, Snivellus!" Black called, but I immediately hexed his chair, that was only on two legs, to fall backwards, making him dump the whole cauldron of Veratiserum onto himself and choke on it.

"That's what you get for never sitting properly Black." Slughorn stated.

"It was Darlington! Her wand is still out!" Black exclaimed as I immediately put it in my sock, the Veratiserum quickly starting to wear off.

Slughorn looked at me and didn't see my wand.

"Too much Veratiserum. Go to the infirmary." Slughorn mumbled.

Black glared at me before exiting the room with his stuff.

"That was brilliant, thank you." Severus smirked.

"No problem." I replied smiling back.

After class, with the potion already worn off for me, we headed to Transfigurations Class.

"DARLINGTON!" Black yelled as him and Potter stormed towards me.

"What?" I asked bored.

"I'm going to kill you for what you did." He sneered.

"Why? Because I stood up for my friend? What's your problem with Severus anyways? Just because we're Slytherins doesn't mean we're evil. You and Potter have been acting more evil than us." I asked as I got into his face.

"It's because he's friends with you!" He hissed, before his eyes widened at what he said, making me smirk.

"Do you have a crush on me, Black?" I asked.

"Yes." He replied before covering his mouth.

"Well too bad, I would never date someone as pathetic as you." I stated before turning around and walking away with Severus.

"Are you sure you wouldn't want to date him? I know he's been my bully since the first day here, but that shouldn't mean you can't date him." Severus asked.

"Trust me Sev, I do not like him. There's someone else I like." I replied.

"Who is it?" He asked, a bit intrigued.

"No one important. He probably doesn't even like me back." I replied as I shrugged.

"Then why won't you tell me?" He asked as we entered McGonagall's classroom.

"Because he has had his eye on someone else since before I knew him." I replied before we took our seats.

Before he could say anything else, McGonagall started teaching. Roughly 15-20 minutes later, Potter and Black came into the classroom. Potter looked pissed, and Black looked like he was trying to show he he was pissed, but just looked hurt. I didn't feel sorry for him one bit.

"Potter, Black, detention and 50 points from Gryffindor for being late to my class. Take your seats." McGonagall snapped before she went back to teaching.

"Professor, Black had an incident during Potions class and had to go to the infirmary. I'm pretty sure Potter went to check on him after class and they came here together once Black was discharged from Madam Pomfrey's care." Alice Fortescue, Lily Evans's friend, stated once McGonagall called on her for having her hand up.

"What was the incident?" McGonagall asked.

"He fell off his chair and his cauldron of Veratiserum got knocked off the table and dumped out on him." Alice replied.

McGonagall sighed.

"25 points to Gryffindor for Miss Fortescue's truth. Black you don't have detention anymore." McGonagall stated.

"What about James? That's not fair!" Black asked shocked.

"He decided to be late to my class on his own, it is quite fair. Don't make me take more points from you Black. Just because I'm the Head of Gryffindor, doesn't mean I will hesitate to remove points from my own house. Not to mention suspending you and Potter from Quidditch." She hissed.

That shut him up real quick, making the whole class snigger at him.

Severus and I decided to go to the library instead of lunch so we could continue studying and get a head start on our homework.

"You know, I think I started losing Lily's friendship when I took an interest in the Dark Arts." Severus sighed out of nowhere, making me take a minute to register what he said.

"Well, her family are muggles." I replied with a shrug.

"I know, but what if I didn't take an interest in it?" He asked me.

"I think she'd still turn against you due to her being Gryffindor." I replied honestly.

"You're probably right." He sighed.

"But don't worry, you still have me. I don't care about you taking a liking to the Dark Arts. I personally think it's cool, but I would never practice that stuff myself." I smiled a little.

"Even with your family tree?" He asked shocked.

"Especially due to my family tree." I replied.

"You should've been a Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff." He laughed quietly.

"And you should've been a Gryffindor with Lily, but here we are." I replied with a slightly bigger smile, but it was still small.

"I like the house I'm in now." He said quietly.

"Me too." I replied with a big smile before it was time to head to our next class.