Chapter 6. Everybody Loves Mia

She managed to avoid them for the next two hours because of their extensive meeting. It gave her time to catch up on her work and think about how she was going to handle this delicate situation between them. When it was time for lunch, she didn't wait to ask them to join her; she was out the door before anyone could stop her.

One of the benefits of working in the financial district were that everything was right where you needed it to be. There was a Wal-green on nearly every corner. Bars for having drinks during lunch or hanging out after work were generously spread throughout the streets. However, her favorite, were the restaurants. Every type of restaurant she could think of was within walking distance in the financial district. People never had to drive to eat. Mia loved lunchtime; she found something new every month to try.

The area was so full of life. Street musicians played their saxophones and guitars on the corner. Beautiful classic trolleys rumbled gently up and down the streets packed with tourists. Buses honked their horns at cars to move out of the way. Most of all, Mia loved watching the people that walked around.

The women looked like supermodels dressed fashionably in expensive clothes that she knew cost over hundreds of dollars. The men were well built and handsome as they wore their expensive suits and walked around with confidence and a purpose to their steps.

When Mia had first arrived in San Francisco, all the beautiful, perfect people had intimidated her. There were only a handful of African-Americans walking around, but they were also dressed impeccably. Mia felt she had to dress her best just to blend in with the crowd, which meant she'd spent entire paychecks, at one time, on clothes she couldn't afford.

Aidan and Kale fit perfectly here in the city. They looked just like everyone else. She smiled at the thought and then jumped out of her musings when her cell phone vibrated in her jacket. She knew who it was before answering it; she just didn't know which one was calling her.

"Hello, Mia speaking," she said as sweetly as she could.

"Mia, where are you?" Kale asked. He sounded very annoyed.

"I'm on lunch," Mia replied innocently.

"Where are you? You know we don't like you walking around the city by yourself."

"Oh please, what could possibly happen in such a beautiful place?"

"You remember the drunken homeless guy who grabbed your skirt when you passed by and wouldn't let go?" Kale reminded.

Mia frowned. "That happened a long time ago and I haven't seen him since..."

Aidan's voice suddenly appeared on the phone. "Mia, are you avoiding us?"

"Maybe," Mia admitted.

Aidan sighed. "We should have lunch together and talk about this," he reasoned.

"No thanks," Mia said. "I'm going to enjoy my lunch by myself without you two wrecking havoc in my life."

"That's a little extreme..." Aidan said sounding hurt.

"I told you both I wanted to take this slow. What the hell was that back there?"

"I'm sorry, sweetie. We couldn't help ourselves. This is why I didn't want you working here after we confessed our feelings to you. You're one hell of a distraction and every time we're near you, we just want to touch you. We've kept our hands to ourselves for years; you can't expect us to keep our control now that we've opened up to you."

"Yes, I can! If you've waited that long, then you can wait a little longer. This is on my terms remember, not yours?"

"We're not saints, Mia. You can't expect us to be around such a beautiful, sexy woman as yourself and not want to touch you," Kale said.