Chapter 13 - 14

Recovery and Decline

Is it just me, or did I actually see that this got second place on the daily ranking board?

I really can’t be thankful enough.

“Hah…”

Once I’d made it back home, I felt myself succumb to my usual bouts of unease.

“How are we supposed to take care of that thing…? There’s nothing we can do…”

Despite my mumblings, I was fully aware that we couldn’t very well go on without cooking up a plan.

I really did understand, but…

Look, I’d never been the most brave or gallant kind of guy. If you were to ignore my high stats, my blessings, and just how easy it was for my skills to grow, I was just a plain old villager… just a farmer.

So far, I’d just avoided whatever fights I knew I couldn’t win, and the one time I actually ran into thieves I’d saved myself by begging for my life.

That was just who I was, really…

No, no, I couldn’t let myself go down that route. I wasn’t about to get anywhere by being negative.

I just needed to calm down a little.

Luckily for me, I’d come into possession of liquidised herbs, courtesy of Wong. If those could help me relax, they’d be worth their weight in gold.

Once I’d gone and retrieved a small sheet of linen I could use, I poured in the herbs and let them stain the cloth before pressing the it to my face.

The pleasant aroma soothed my nerves, and I felt that I had sufficiently calmed down.

It was entirely possible that the stuff worked purely by capitalising on one’s preconceived notions that it would, indeed, function as a relaxant. But even if that was the case, I didn’t mind.

“…No wonder melk weed’s as costly as it is.”

I was much more composed that I had been only moments earlier, I noticed.

Now that my thoughts were much more rational and streamlined, I realised that while that thing’s attack and magic power were through the roof, it could mean that its defensive capacities, magic included, would be much weaker.

While I found it dubious that any average Joe could pierce through its defences, I entertained the possibility that with my stats, high as they were, I could deal damage if I really pushed myself.

That meant that all I had to do was avoid taking on the brunt of its attacks.

Wait, that thing had a Breath skill. Given all the magic power crammed into its breath, there was no way for me to evade if it should decide to heave some my way, was there…?

Hey now, I’d already decided that I wouldn’t be negative about this.

If I could just make my move before it cast its breath… If I could take first blood by surprise and pack everything I had into my attack, would it be possible, with just a little bit of extra luck?

Yeah, that was it. I had plenty of ways to go about doing this. I just had to do everything in my power to find out what I could about that thing.

“Alright then… Guess I’ll make some time to look into it tomorrow.”

I’d made up my mind. I allowed myself an early dinner then, wanting to be ready on the day that would follow, went to bed.