Slow Gernade

𝑯𝒆𝒍𝒑 𝒎𝒆, 𝒎𝒚 𝒈𝒐𝒅- 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒔 𝒈𝒐𝒕 𝒎𝒆𝒔𝒔𝒚...

☼︎

I listened to the quiet hum as I gazed at the sparkling lights around me. I am lonely. There are no near by moons to keep me company, no man-made machines roaming around on my surface, no asteroids circling around me. Just me, myself, and I.

Suddenly, there's a breeze. 

A warm breeze. A gentle caress that touches me so softly, it feels familiar.

No, not a breeze. I realize.

A star's ray. It brushes against me with it's warmth to remind me that I am not alone. Even though it may seem like there's nothing close for miles, I am not alone. Thank you, star.

𖨆

"Candy~ she's sweet like candy.." I sing softly to myself as I complete my classwork. The teacher was called out the classroom a few minutes ago and told us to finish our assignment, not caring if we grouped up or helped each other out. So as the others scooted  their desks closer to each other, I stayed in the back, minding my own business.

My classmates always thought I was a loner or a snobby brat. I know this because they said so: under their breaths, glances they spare at me, whispers they give each other, or directly to my face. Well, they got one part right.

I am a "loner", I guess. If that is another term for socially-awkward with a heaping helping of anxiety then, yes. I am a loner.

As I start to wrap up my assignment, a shadow blocks the light from my desk so I look up by reflex, and there he is. He smiles down at me and opens his mouth to speak but notices the earbud in my ear and gestures to it. I see that he's actually trying to speak to me, so as to not to be rude, I remove it and give a small smile as a greeting, "Hi?"

He smiles, showing his perfect pearly whites, "Hi there, uhhh- I noticed you sitting here alone and thought I'd join you."

I smile at him suspiciously, "Yeah...I uh, always sit here alone. It's kinda my assigned seat."

He just nods and seems unaffected by my bluntness, 'Well, if you don't mind- I'll assign myself to the seat next to you."

Of course I didn't mind. I'd get out of MY seat if that meant he had a place to sit. But no one knows that, and I would never say that aloud. So I keep up my bothered façade.

"What do you want?" I ask, finally done with my work and putting it away.

"Well two things. One, can't a guy just want to come over and talk to the supposed loner of the class? And two, you always sit here by yourself yet you always look so content...so I wanted to figure out why."

I do a side smile, a very sarcastic one, and angle my body a little to face him, "There's always a catch when it comes to people, especially guys- so no it's not that believable. Two, ever thought maybe cause, I don't know- I'm alone?"  

He laughs and my heart sputters. My eyes widen a little and I wonder if I'm okay. I quickly turn my head away and give a chuckle to mask my little heart attack, "Well, let's be alone together."

I quickly turn to him again, "That's not how that works."

"It could be."