December 2012: Curious Christmas

Começar do início

“Thanks, sounds tempting.”

“Oh yes.  Well, I just wanted to wish you a happy Christmas.  And I know we’ve been sort of skirting around the issue, but I wanted to tell you…well, really, offer you… offer you a full time position at Cleredon.  I know that you weren’t planning on staying in London, but we’d love to have you.  I know the gallery isn’t exactly living up to all your expectations.  And I’d be chuffed to bits if you’d stay on with us.” Mary exclaims.  Her words sink in, and I’m a bit shocked at first. 

She’d mentioned bringing me in full time, but I had thought it was just a musing.  The thought of staying in London, possibly permanently, was a completely new idea to me.  Sure, it had become home in the last few months.  Although it is far from Santos, and my estranged family in New York, it seems more familiar to me than New York.  I love working at Cleredon and my friendship with Mary is a breath of fresh air.  I know coming on full time would mean many more opportunities, as well as more hands on work with the art and artifacts in the house.

I can’t speak for a moment.

“Well, just think it through over the holiday, yeah? And we can discuss after the new year.” Mary says, her voice still chipper. 

“Mary…yes. I mean, I will think about it but, thank you.  Thank you for the offer.” I say breathlessly.  She laughs.

“Of course, darling.  Now just let me know if you’re going to come with me for Christmas. Send me a text.” She states just as my phone starts beeping.  I frown, pulling back and looking at the screen.  Someone else is calling.  When I see the name, my heart jumps to my throat.

“Okay, Mary.  Talk to you soon.  Happy Christmas.” I say quickly.  She says goodbye, and then I stare at my screen for a half second before switching over to the incoming call.

“Hello?” I feel my mouth go dry.

“Hi Gracie.  How are you?” Tom asks, his voice calm and cool.  I chew on the inside of my lip.

“Great, Tom. How are you?” Oh, we are just so polite and adult.  It’s not that we left off hating each other, but it wasn’t exactly on the best of terms.  And we’d never really smoothed things out.

“I’m good. I’m at my mum’s in Sandbanks.  When will you be here?” He asks.  I’m a bit stunned and I have to take a moment to pull my thoughts together.

“I’m not going to come this year.  I thought it…for the best.” I say finally.  Tom clears his throat.  Well, this is uncomfortable.

“Please, reconsider.  I know that we…” He pauses.  “I know you and I...” He sighs, as if he can’t find the right words. Shocking for someone like Tom, who always seems to have something to say.  Even when you wish he didn’t.

“ You’re still welcome here. My mother would love to see you, as well as Emily.” He says finally.  What about you, Tom? Would you like to see me? I wonder.

“I don’t know.” I manage.

“Santos will be here soon. Please come.” He waits.  Ah, Santos.

“Did Santos call you? Just now?” I ask, my heart rate picking up.  Santos, that meddler.  His hands in every pot.  I shake my head.

“No.” Tom lies.

“Don’t do this just because Santos asked you to.” I say bluntly. 

“Don’t refuse to come simply because you and I aren’t on good terms.  My family and your best friend are all waiting to see you.” Tom shoots back.  The bastard.  “And it’s Christmas. So please, forgive me for being a giant knob the last time we spoke, and get your ass on the next ferry.”