Chapter 3

"But mother- what do you mean?"

Imogene, who was now terrified, was concerned for her mother. She never spoke this nervously, and her eyes were wide and bloodshot. Although she was no expert, Imogene could tell she had been crying.

"We have to leave, now. I will explain on the way."

She pulled Imogene's hand and dragged her up the steps and into the unknown. She was correct- it was nighttime. For the first time since she was a babe, she saw the upstairs area of her home. She knew how to label the various objects from old books she had read- the kitchen table, the wood- burning stove, the tea kettle and cups, and much more. It was a lot to take in, and she hadn't even been outside yet. Her mother began to pack a small basket with some of Imogene's favorite books and trinkets.

"What are you doing with my things, mother?"

"I- you're going on a trip, and I want you to feel comforted with familiar things."

Her mother turned and faced her, taking Imogene's shoulders in her hands and looking into her innocent, confused eyes. She was trying as hard as she could not to cry, but tears lined her bottom eye lid, fighting to escape.

"Imogene- the world is much different from the books you have read. Are you ready for that?"

Imogene's hands trembled as she reached and held her mother's hand; the most contact she had had with her in a long, long time.

"Yes, mother."

Her mother lead her by hand gently out the door and into the cool, night air. When the door swung open, a blast of fresh, chilly night air brushed against her frail figure, sending chills down her spine. Excitement overwhelmed her as she stepped out into the night, feeling soft ground for the first time.

Imogene let out a gasp as she began to adjust her eyes to the bright moon and starlight. She had read of the moon and stars, but she had never seen there picture. It was breathtaking. The gentle twinkling of the numerous stars shined brightly against the black night. She felt as if she could reach up and grab them out of the sky, and hold them in her hands as if they were the brightest diamonds anyone had ever seen.

The moon was so bright that she had to adjust her eyes to it's beauty. Imogene was amazed- she could practically see the craters and rocks on it's surface. Just looking at it made excitement swell in her soul. Yet it also made her feel insignificant. How could the smallness of humanity ever compare to the beauty and majesty of the bright, shining moon?

And she hadn't even seen the sun yet.

{Hey guys! I'm trying my best to keep up with the updates and all my school work, but I will try to update as soon as possible. Thanks for reading!}