Chapter 4

The alarm clock blared throughout the room, making the bed sheets shuffle and groan in annoyance. Taeyongs head popped up with furrowed eyebrows as he grabbed his phone from the nightstand and turned off the alarm. The twenty eight year old plopped back into bed, wanting to get back into his sleep that was slowly being chased away by the morning sunlight. While trying to sleep in a little longer, he missed the fact that his bedroom door was slowly opening. 

A small body slowly climbed up onto the duvet crawling towards the sleeping Detective. Giggles rang out in the room and Taeyong slowly opened his eyes in confusion. Before he could react, a body slammed right onto him, making him grunt in surprise. 

"Daddy get up!" Taeyong groaned as his son kept yanking at him but he somehow still found a way to smile as he heard the high pitched giggles. While Sungchan was slightly yanking at Taeyong's locks, the Detective sat up, making his son fall backwards and softly hit the bed in front of him. 

As Sungchan kept laughing at the disgruntled look on his father, Taeyong raised an eyebrow at him. "And what do I owe this pleasure, Sungchanie?" The young boy kept giggling and eventually sat up, playing with his father's thumbs. "Remember that today we can go to the park with Uncle Tennie and play soccer?" Taeyong mentally slapped himself on the forehead at his ten year old son's words. A few days prior, before the Seo Mafia case was thrown at his team, he promised Sungchan that today he would go to the park and play soccer with him—this unfortunately had Ten be thrown in on the promise as well. 

Taeyong knows that Sungchan deserves it though, the Detective is barely able to be there enough for Sungchan due to constant work. Fortunately, his twelve year old boy understood why Taeyong sometimes wouldn't be back everyday for dinner or when Uncle Winwin brings over Yangyang to have Sungchan play with when school is over for the day. Sungchan is aware that his family circumstances are different; only having his dad and no one else to be there. But he would never change it, for the young boy, he only needs Taeyong and no one else (maybe Ten). 

Taeyong hummed as an answer and Sungchan smiled brightly at his father. The two stayed in bed for a little bit, playing around together until Taeyong received a text from Ten that the younger will be a little late due to "personal reasons". This made Taeyong furrow his eyebrows, feeling some odd emotion swell up in his chest. But he only lightly scoffed at the pathetic excuse and tried to avoid answering Sungchans question about "what are his personal reasons?" 

The two left the room and to where the kitchen and living room was connected. As Taeyong went to the kitchen to start breakfast, Sungchan left for the large couch in the living room to watch his favorite cartoons. As Taeyong finished cooking and started to set up the table to eat, the doorbell rang making the two look at the door. The Detective let Sungchan sit at the table and opened the door to see Ten standing there with a sheepish smile. 

"You said you were going to be late." Taeyong stated flatly, Ten only gave him a smile and walked past him to greet an excited twelve year old. "Yeah I know— hey buddy— I was going to get us coffee but then the lines were too long so I decided to just come over." The older Detective walked to the entrance of the kitchen, silently watching Ten excitedly talk to Sungchan about how his science test went yesterday. 

"Chan-ah please slow down on eating, Ten isn't gonna disappear until after we leave the park." The boy only gave his father an apologetic smile, one that was so familiar that it made Taeyong's heart squeeze. The gray haired man swallowed an uncomfortable knot that was starting to grow in his throat, leaving the two to fix up some breakfast for his best friend. 

Taeyong finished setting up the table for himself and Ten, starting to eat as Sungchan started talking about his classes and upcoming projects he has. Eventually the oldest looked over at the digital clock in the kitchen and realized that it was almost time to head to the park as he promised Sungchan that they would. "Baby go get washed up and ready to go, we'll leave soon." Sungchan perked up at the mention of leaving, his face brightening as he sat his plate in the sink; running to his room quickly.