3.0: Hello The Great Outdoors & Healthy Competition

A/N: This story is based on 1x04 The Man in the Bear

Claire sat in Brennan's office when Booth walked in, "Hey squints, I got a case for you." Brennan looked over at him, "We're busy."

Claire nodded as she continued to sketch out the human skeleton on her notepad, "We're discussing the speech I'm going to give at the University-"

"Hey look at this, human arm that's dead." Booth interrupted and showed them a picture of a human arm, there was little tissue left on it. Claire sighed and put her notepad down, "Temper's department, it's bones."

Brennan frowned, "There's little tissue and looks like a human arm, what's the deal?"

"Found in eastern Washington state." Booth answered and Brennan sighed, "Where?"

"Inside a bear."

"That's not- inside a bear?" Brennan asked and even Claire raised an eyebrow at this, Booth smiled since he knew he'd gotten their attention. "Autopsy revealed more bone fragments in the bear's stomach and intestine."

"An autopsy on an animal is called necropsy." Claire corrected and Booth turned to look at her, "Yeah, you know it's pretty crucial we get that straight off the bat. Meanwhile, about the dead human being?" Brennan shrugged, "You don't need me, the bear ate someone."

Booth shook his head, "26 bone fragments in total, the case bumped to the Seattle field office and they bumped it to me. Check it out." Booth handed Brennan a flash-drive and Claire got up to look at Brennan's computer as she put it in, Brennan looked back over at Booth. "Why'd they bump it to you?"

"Bones, do you really care about the inner workings of the FBI office?"

Claire gave a small smirk, "They gave it to you because of Temper, right?" Brennan smirked, "They bumped it to you because you work with me." 

"No, they hope that you could help ID the body." Booth stated and Claire hummed, "That's what we said Agent Booth." Brennan smiled at her before pulling up the pictures, "They want me to identify the victim from a hand?"

"They have high expectations." Booth answered and Brennan raised an eyebrow at him before looking back at the picture, "Definitely human, opposable thumb, probably male from the size of the hand." 

Claire frowned as she leaned in to take a closer look, "Huh." Booth looked at her, "What?"

"Dr. Brennan, do you see that?" Claire asked ignoring Booth and Brennan nodded, "Yes, I do."

"See what?" Booth asked as he walked around to them, Claire pointed at the hand. "Kerf marks." Brennan looked at Booth, "Marks made from a cutting tool."

Booth shrugged, "Maybe from when they were cutting up the bear?" Brennan shook her head, "No, it's not a straight edge. Residual cross-section striae." Booth nodded, "Hmmm, I see. I understood nothing of what you just said Bones, just because you say it in a definitive tone doesn't mean it means anything to me."

Claire blinked at him before shrugging, "The marks were made from a saw." Brennan pointed at another photo, "The hand was already separated from the rest of the person when the bear ate them." Booth frowned before standing up straight, "Somebody was dismembered and fed to a bear?"

"That's a possibility, or someone was murdered and the bear found the dumpsite." Claire answered and Brennan nodded, Booth cleared his throat. "Huh, okay. Thanks Bones and Cee."

"Don't call me Cee."

"Don't call me Bones, glad we can help." Brennan took out the flash-drive and handed it back to him, Booth shook his head as he took it. "You're not done." Brennan gave a nod, "I'll check out the photographs and the x-rays, see if I can confirm sex and age."