CHAPTER 14: Mystery Remains

Magsimula sa umpisa

"Damn right you should be! And what were you thinking going to meet him there alone, what if you got kidnapped and then got shipped away while your organs were stolen?" Nora lectured.

Ella had to hold back a smile, "Don't be dramatic, he's a college student and I was inside the campus, it was safe and anyway he-... he doesn't seem like a shady guy."

"Yeah, sure... like he'd tell you if he had a few buddies in prison." Nora scoffed.

"Alright fine, that was stupid of me, I should have told you." Ella accepted. "But he never showed up, I don't know what to think of it, I thought we were becoming friends..."

"Are you sure he thinks the same?" Nora asked, smirking.

"I don't know anymore..." She shrugged. "He probably thinks I'm the shady guy..." She mumbled, amused at the possibility.

"Do you have his letter?" Nora asked and Ella nodded. "Show it to me!" She sounded excited.

Ella thought about it, there was no harm in showing her the letter, it's not like she was asking to read his diary which was a lot more private. She reached into the drawer of her bedside table and pulled out an envelope.

"Here you go. " Ella said. "I'm letting you see it just this once."

Nora eyed the paper and then unfolded the letter, "All this seems so old school classic."

Ella rolled her eyes, "People still do write letters, it's not that old, you're talking as if I also sent it with a pigeon..."

Nora began reading, and analysing every word, "Dear Intruder huh?" Her eyes widened, "Right off the bat, he's not beating around the bush." She took a few minutes to read it completely and then said, "Damn, he outright told you, that you won't get the journal back."

"Well, yeah...and I can't exactly fault him, it kinda is technically his journal," Ella said.

"Yeah, He sounds like a soft-spoken well-mannered gentleman even if he's accusing you and sometimes being rude," Nora said.

"I know, weird right?" Ella frowned but was happy to share her observations.

Nora nodded, "His handwriting is beautiful though..."

"It really is." Ella smiled.

"But there's something I find strange, how come he was able to get his journal back without knowing you?" She pointed out.

Ella thought about it. It stumped her for a bit. "I-I don't know that either... and I don't think he'll tell me how he got it back, it makes no sense."

"Do you think he knows who you are?" Nora asked.

Ella became more doubtful the more she thought about it, "I don't know to be honest..."

"Well you need to find out, and don't worry, I'll help you." She declared.

"Really?" Ella for once seemed excited.

"Yeah, but are you sure you want to be just 'friends' with this guy?" Nora asked outright.

"What?! I don't even know him!" Ella protested.

"I'm just saying, the letters, the diary, the knowing secrets and keeping secrets... it all seems kinda romantic." Nora shrugged.

"Well, it's not." Ella denied.

"Fine... fine, now let's go have some coffee, what time do you have your classes today?" Nora gave her back the letter and stood up.

"In the afternoon" Ella kept the letter back in the drawer and walked towards the bathroom, "you go ahead, I'll be there in a few minutes."

*****************************************