The Car Shop PT. 1

I don't wanna talk about it
But no one understands me, no
You're the only one I'm confiding to darling, oh

I don't even need to lie to you, babe ~ Summer Walker, CPR

Michael

1971

I pushed my headphones on further as kids came running past my door. I would've closed the door, but Ms. Monroe would have my head if I did that. Today was Sunday which meant it was a free day. I opted to listen to music and draw. It was better than fighting over those raggedy toys Ms. Monroe left for us. I was just beginning to sketch when a huge thud caused me to take off my headphones.

What the hell was that?

I was about to put my headphones back on when the noise happened again. I sighed and rolled my eyes before getting up. "Who the hell is that? Man, I swear I can't stand this damn house." I walked into the hallway, seeing all the commotion.

A group of kids stood in the center of the hall, cheering on Leah as she stood over the new girl. I'd noticed her from the moment Ms. Monroe introduced her to us. Her skin was the color of rich copper and she had these kinky coils that had me daydreaming. At the moment, her face wore a frown as she stared up at Leah.

Leah had always been known as the bully because she was taller than most of the girls. I pushed my way through the small crowd, daring anyone to say something to me. "Who the fuck talks like that? You talkin' like you a toddler or some shit. Imma treat you just like the baby you are." Leah got down in her face, tugging at her hair.

The new girl swatted at Leah's hand before getting up. I will say no one has ever stood up to Leah. They either gave in to her bullying or became apart of her army of dimwits.

Her face was full of embarrassment yet determination. "Leave me alone, Leah! You've been bothering me this whole week." I tilted my head when I heard the lisp. I'd barely heard her talk before now because she always kept herself closed off.

"And I'm going to keep bothering you. It's too much fun." Leah scoffed and chuckled before pushing her shoulder. The other children fed into the situation gassing Leah up and laughing with her.

My eyebrows knitted together as I stepped forward, getting past the rest of the crowd. "Leah, why you always tryna pick on someone? You're acting like you're not in this group home just like the rest of us. Find something better to do rather than pick on girls that aren't even your size."

Leah flared her nose as she folded her arms. "Michael, you always tryna ruin someone else's fun. Lighten the fuck up, I was just hazing the girl."

"Why does she need to be hazed? Ain't our lives already dreary enough? You gotta make it even worse. You better stop before Ms. Monroe or Derek catch you up here even trying that shit." After hearing their names, Leah's face dropped along with her arms.

She sucked her teeth before pushing past me. I watched her stomp off down the hall, muttering to herself. "She wasn't worth it anyway."

Everyone scattered, like the rats they were, after the situation was deescalated. The new girl had her head down, fixing her clothes back up. I was about to walk away when I heard her suddenly whisper out.

"Thank you," I looked back up at her and caught her playing with the hem of her shirt.

"You didn't have to do that." Her voice was soft, trying to hide the speech impediment she had. I shrugged putting my hands in my pockets, not know what to do with them. "It's nothing. Leah is always tryna bully someone, knowin' damn well she dealt with the same thing when she first got here."