9. The Forbidden Jewel

"Okay, Finn. Just keep still for a few more minutes, and this painting will be done."

"I hope so."

It was a peaceful afternoon at the Crowne Royale Hotel. The teens were chilling and doing their usual activities. Lexi was playing her guitar while Dylan and Brian were doing homework. Mason and Finn are currently working on a project with Finn standing in an uncomfortable position and Mason painting him. Just then, Xenna walked in with her iPad.

"Hey, Finn. Hey, Mason. What are you doing?"

"Painting."

"I know that, but what is Finn doing?"

"...trying not to crumble," Finn replied, trying his hardest to keep his pose.

Suddenly, the teens heard voices coming from a suite above them. At first, there was talking, but then, it grew into yelling and became really loud until it suddenly stopped.

"What was that?" asked Lexi.

"I don't know. We better check it out. Finn, we'll finish up later." Suddenly, Finn dropped his posture, relieved.

"Finally!"

The teens went up to the sixth floor and found two paramedics wheeling a man on a gurney out of a room. The man was strapped to the gurney and struggling to get out. The teens went inside the suite to find Ralph and William.

"Hey, Ralph. William?"

"What are you guys doing here?"

"We heard noises up here," explained Lexi. "Is something wrong?"

"Well, if you must know...it's my father. Something horrible happened to him. He was just sitting on his favorite chair with his new jewel, the Majnun." He opens a box to reveal a necklace made with a bronze medal and a black jewel in the shape of an eye. The teens were astonished by its beauty. "One minute, he was polishing it. Then, the next thing you know, he went mad. They had to carry him to the hospital."

"That's terrible."

"Well, hope he gets better. Come on, bro. Let's finish the painting."
"Finn!" Mason pulls him back.

"You should have seen him. His eyes were orange, and he had this god-awful laugh. I can't get it out of my head." Suddenly, William mimics his father's crazed laugh. It was indeed terrible. Even Dylan was freaked out.

"So, you're saying that piece of jewelry caused your father to go insane?"

"Exactly!"

"William, may we hold on to the jewel in question? Just for research purposes."

"Well...alright, but caution: do not look directly into the jewel. That's how my father went insane."

"Can do."
—————————————————————

The teens returned to the suite and continued on with their day. Xenna was on her laptop, researching on the jewel while Mason and Finn were finishing the painting.

"So, Xe, any news on the jewel?" Dylan asked.

"Here's what I found. According to this website, the Majnun was an all-powerful jewel that belonged to the Arabic queen,  Inbar. She would wear it to ward off her enemies and dangerous animals. It is said that if anyone stares into the eye of the jewel long enough, it will alter their personality and cause them to go stark raving mad."

"Sounds like an interesting piece of fashion wear," Finn quipped.

"So, what do we do with it?" asked Lexi.