➵ XIV. The Rogue Kingdom

Start from the beginning

Zaine nods. "Yep. His name's Thatcher King, he's a wolf." His form starts shifting, his black hair turning blonde, dark eyes becoming blue. His voice changes too, becoming deeper and more gruff. "Looks like this. He's not bad but he's got a thing for Reina. Doesn't stop hitting on her, no matter how many times she says no."

I growl softly, hands gripping the of my desk.

"Calm your tits, Asher," Killian says as Zaine changes back to normal. "She'd never say yes to him."

I send him a glare but grit my teeth and nod.

"Anyway, there's a whole rogue kingdom," Clove says. "Runs like a well-oiled machine and controlled by the King and Queen."

"Thatcher and Rei?" Raiden asks.

Zaine nods.

"You know I just realized something," Scott says. "If you're all rogues, how are you not insane and out of control?"

"Oh we are," Killian says with a playful, yet crazed, grin. "You just don't know when we'll strike."

Clove rolls her eyes. "Ignore him. Well, no, don't ignore him. He's nuts and so is Changeling." Killian and Zaine both grin mischievously. "Anyways," Clove continues, "It takes a month or two before rogues of either of our kind start losing it. We've found that if you find other rogues, or just anyone that you can attach too and become close with, you don't go mad.

"Our kinds need others to interact with, no matter the species. The insanity is basically because you're alone, without any one to talk to. So if you get in a group with other rogues, you all become each others' lifelines. But if you hit the three month point without a group, there's no turning back from the insanity."

"But that doesn't happen as much as it used to," Killian says. "Rogue groups keep an eye out for any newbies, let them join their group and contact either the King or Queen, depending on who the newbie wants to follow."

"There's a difference?" I ask.

The three of them nod.

"King is in charge of the crazy bitches," Zaine says. "All the rogue attacks done just for fun? That's King's rogues. Queen's job is rescuing the abused and giving them real homes. We help them heal and then give them the option of joining another pack or coven, or staying with the rogues.

"Think of the kingdom like this: picture a country and call that the entire rogue kingdom. Now imagine that country has only two states or provinces; those two regions are the king's side and the queen's side. Within those sides are dozens of cities, towns, whatever; each of those cities and towns is a rogue group following either king or queen. Each of the two regions has a capital which is the king's rogue group, the Rulers, and the queen's rogue group, the Royals. So that's dozens of groups making up each side of the kingdom with one lead group on each side, the Royals or the Rulers."

I nod slowly, understanding. "What about the attack on FallsView Orphanage a few days ago that was on the supernatural news?" I ask. "Caretakers dead and all the kids gone?"

Killian nods. "Yep. That was one of the Queen's attacks. The caretakers were abusive. Strange, which groups were in that attack?"

Clove thinks for a few seconds. "Last Hope and Vanquisher I think."

"So the groups choose their own name?" Scott asks.

Zaine nods. "Yeah."

"What's the stronger side?" Scott asks. "King or Queen."

"It's pretty close," Clove admits. "Some people want vengeance and just to cause chaos while some want to help others. I'd say it's even in the number of following rogues and their power."

"Who's the strongest rogue group?" Dean asks curiously.

"Us," Killian replies. "It would be either us or the Rulers, Thatcher's group. They have more fighters, six against our four since Chase and Rhea don't fight but they're all wolves. We, the Royals, all witches and warlocks. That's not to say witches and warlocks don't follow King and wolves don't follow Reina, it's just the members in our individual rogue groups, Royals and Rulers. And since we're all highly skilled and when you don't know our weaknesses, it can be hell trying to stop us."

"And the strongest, most deadly, individual warrior other than the King and Queen?" Raiden asks.

Clove and Zaine both look at Killian, who grins.

"It's mostly because of his power but his fighting skills make him dangerous too," Clove says.

"What can you do, Killian?" I ask. "You're the only one we haven't figured out yet."

"Mine is the hardest to figure out," Killian replies with a shrug.

He grins and his eyes start glowing. Quickly, faster than possible, he gets up and comes over to me, grabbing a pen off my desk before returning to his place on the couch all in under two seconds.

"Speed?" Scott asks, his eyes wide.

Killian shrugs, twirling the pen in one hand. "Kinda. I can enhance my speed, strength, or five senses. Better eyesight, hearing, sense of smell. Taste and touch are mostly useless to enhance unless it's in private with Changeling."

He and Zaine both smirk as the rest of our expressions become slightly disgusted. Clove however just keeps a blank face, probably used to hearing things like that.

"Too much information?" Killian asks innocently, a cheeky grin on his lips.

I nod.

"Better get used to it," Clove says. "These two take every opportunity possible to let the world know they're together."

"Well, I have to make sure hoes know he's mine," Zaine says, resting his head on Killian's shoulder and holding his hand.

Killian gives Zaine a loving smile and kisses his forehead. "And you're mine."

Zaine smiles back and I watch as his hair starts changing colours, first teal blue, then violet, then rose red. Zaine looks up, trying to see his changing hair. A look of concentration appears on his face for a few seconds before he sighs.

"Can't stop it?" Killian asks.

"Nope," Zaine replies. "It's my love for you driving me crazy."

"His power gets out of control when his emotions get too extreme," Clove explains, seeing my friends and I looking confused.

"So that's why he started changing when we first met," Raiden says.

Zaine nods.

His eyes fog over suddenly and so do Clove's and Killian's.

Alphas, rogues at the northeast border, says one of the warriors on patrol.

On my way, I reply

I blink and look at Raiden, Scott and Dean. "Rogues."

"Oh great," Clove mutters as her eyes clear.

We all hurry out of the room and outside. My friends and I quickly strip and shift behind trees, Clove and Zaine waiting for us. Killian uses his power and dashes off into the forest, towards the rogues. I shoot Clove and Zaine a confused look, wondering why they're on alert.

"Rei mind-linked us," Zaine explains as we start running. "The rogues attacking, it's King."