And you internally curse yourself for lying.

It was later that day when you had the irritating urge to call Levi.

As you were laying on your bed, petting Kuro, you realized that you did have his number and it deemed to be useless if you weren't going to do anything with it.

However, you weren't supposed to associate with him anymore, or so he said. This proved to be slightly infuriating, just slightly. Only because you wouldn't ever let yourself be so caught up on a man like this, especially one who seemingly didn't want anything to do with you.

But when did you ever listen to a man?

Not ever and it sure as hell was not going to be today.

And when a boy like Levi Ackerman had his number in your phone, what the fuck else were you supposed to do with it? Definitely put it to some use, that's for sure.

Or maybe you were just making excuses.

Fuck it.

Levi was just a phone call away. You called him after a moment's hesitation and waited impatiently and anxiously.

One ring turned into two and you fall backwards onto your bed.

Three rings and then four.

"Why are you calling me, [Name]?"

Shit. His voice was so refreshing to hear over the phone. You were basically forced to close your eyes and scream internally, just to grasp somewhat of your composure. He actually answered you, which was more than what you initially were expecting.

"Hello?"

"Hi," you gasp and fail an attempt at controlling your nerves. "I-"

"Why did you call?" He surprisingly replies within a second of deliberation.

"I-um... Why did you answer?" It was a thought begging to be silenced.

He did say not to get involved with him, yet here you were on the phone with the one and only Levi Ackerman. And for some reason that made your heart jump slightly. Talk about bare minimum.

"Spit it out, brat." He snaps.

"Some detectives came at my door this morning... they were looking for you." This is what you say instead, and it's a more plausible excuse to use. Truth be told you didn't want to leave him alone, but you would never admit that out loud.

A drawn out silence was ensued over the line, save for the sound of the road on Levi's side.

"You're not at the academy today?" He says after some time, and it sounds like more of a statement than a question with his characteristically stoic demeanor.

"No," you sigh. "Last night was...too much."

"I'll come over."

Your heart nearly shook out of its ribcage. "But last night you said I shouldn't associate with you. So why are you-"

"[Name]," he interrupts. "Don't ask such stupid questions."

Levi hangs up before you could retort back, which left you somewhat speechless, but it wasn't a surprise to you. After all, this was Levi Ackerman, who seemed to always have the upper hand when it came to you.

Absentmindedly, you began to fidget with the necklace he had gotten you days prior, eyes focusing on the business card Erwin had handed to you before leaving.

"Give me a call if you need anything," Erwin nods politely as he watches you reluctantly hold his business card. "Or if you happen to know the whereabouts of Levi Ackerman."