Twenty-Four: The Trouble in Paradise Contract

Start from the beginning

"We could go to ballroom to make plan?" Heavy proposes, resting his thumbs in the belt of his shorts.

"Yes, I agree with that notion. I shall accompany you two," Medic declares.

"That's definitely on our list of stops. Let's also check out the dining areas and some of the amenities they offer, as well as the main deck with the pool and whatnot. Oh! We also need to get on deck for sailaway so we can survey what kind of crowd we're dealing with," I tack on possible objectives. "Anyone else want to join us?"

"I'll bite." Sniper pushes his glasses up.

"I'll go, too," Soldier rings and points to himself with his thumb. I take off his helmet and rest it on my bed.

"Mhh," Pyro hums.

Miss Pauling shakes her head. "Pyro, no, you can't. Sorry. I think it'd be best if you lay low until the quiet hours so you won't put up any red flags with passengers talking about your appearance."

He drops his shoulders. "Hrrh."

"Sorry, sweetie," I apologetically shrug. "Doctors Mikhail and Humboldt, Barrister Doe, and Mr. Mun--"

"Mick."

"and Mick with me. Let's not all leave at once, though. All of you should slowly filter out in smaller groups. Try your damndest to be incognito. Even the slightest alarm that an innocent shows could reach the brothers, and it'd be extremely difficult to get to them."

"I'll go with the rest of the team so there are two groups. Let's meet up in the west dining hall at... I'll say seven for dinner since the buffet is obviously going to be full. That gives us five hours. Spy, will you keep Pyro company while we're away?" Miss Pauling picks up her purse, and I do, too. Spy nods after rolling his eyes, and the two of them leave right before my group goes.

The halls are bustling as people scurry to get to their cabins, a few running around like headless chickens for no reason in particular, making it a chore to wade through the crowd. Heavy forges a way for us to pop out in a hub that also acts as a lobby. The added room helps with traffic flow. Plants rest in tall metal vases at either side of any exit, low hanging, and lush. I'm thinking of fern. The carpeting looks a bit worn from all of the voyages that must've been experienced prior. The sun shines in through a wide opening that leads out to one of the decks. We might quite possibly be on the second level up, so now would be a good time to verify if I am. A crew member mumbles a greeting as I breeze by her and grab onto the railing to squint my eyes and survey what I can from the side of the ship. Medic and Sniper stand on either side of me, Medic resting his forearms on the warmed iron and Sniper having a smoke. Soldier bums Sniper's lighter to light a cigar he pulled out of nowhere.

Medic turns to me. "We are currently on the lowest elevation deck."

"Eyes are on us," Sniper quietly tells.

"How do you know we are being watched?" Heavy challenges his statement.

"Don't think I've ever told you in particular since we don't get together for work often, but I can just feel it. Like a sixth sense, get it?"

"No," Heavy looks at him slightly confused.

I flatten out the knee-length skirt to my orange dress as the wind picks it up. My stomach churns. "I understand what you're saying, I sense it, too. It feels like from above."

"Nice, Luv," he nods and looks at me. "Smart choice? Not going up there until we're done down here."

"Agreed," Medic mumbles, pushing up his glasses. "Would our sudden departure as a group also seem suspicious?"