Day Thrity-One

En başından başla

I stepped out of the bathroom in a pair of denim shorts and a flannel shirt opened over a white tank top, and started to gather my thing in a pile on my study desk. I silently walked to the closet, chose my owl print backpack and slipped my feet into a pair of sky-blue Vans, and then went to put my belongings into the backpack. I grabbed my cell from the bookshelf and placed it into the back pocket of my shorts and tied a zip up hoddie around my waist.

“Where are you going?” Georgie asked accusingly.

“I have to do my physics project,” I tell her. “I’m going to meet TJ at the playing fields.”

“I thought we could hang out today,” Georgie narrows her eyes on me. “I cleared my whole day for you.”

“Well, you should have asked me if I was free,” I say with my back turned towards her. I had suddenly found looking through my wallet was very interesting. “I have plans for today.”

“You don’t usually have plans,” she counters.

“Well, I do now,” I say defensively.

“It’s that boy isn’t it?” Georgie point a finger at me as she comes over to stand face to face with me. “TJ’s taking over your life, isn’t he?”

“This has nothing to do with TJ,” I sigh heavily. I’m not sure why I’m explaining the situation to her, but I am. “This is me, so don’t bring him into this. And if we’re seriously going to be talking about guys taking over lives, take a look at you and Greyson. When was the last time we hung out properly? Since you got with him, I’ve hardly seen you, so excuse me if I’ve got myself another life.”

Georgie’s face darkened as she stepped closer to me, and I swear her eyes glowed with anger. “Do you even know what TJ’s real name is?” When I don’t answer, Georgie smirks. “Thought not. You’re so blind, Catherine. Ask your precious TJ what his real name is, and I promise you, you’ll be whistling a different tune after. TJ isn’t who you think he is.”

With those parting words, Georgie stormed form the bedroom and slammed every door after her as she went. After a few minutes I heard a soft knock at my door and Anna’s head levitating as she debates whether or not she should enter. I wave her in anyway and watch as she hovers awkwardly.

“I couldn’t help but hear all that,” she smiles weakly. “I’m not going to tell you how to live your life, Cate, but I am going to give you some advice. Usually I would tell you to choose your friends over a guy because they’re the most important things in your life, but I’m not sure how important Georgie is to you.

“Sure, she’s a nice enough person,” Anna says carefully. “But, it always looked like you were her puppet. I know you like to hide behind layers and you don’t show your real self often, but with Georgie, it was like she was dominating you. Butterflies need to grow up and spread their wings before they die, because life is too short. You’re the butterfly, Cate. You need to spread your wings and live your life. You’ll never do that if you’re living in Georgie’s shadow.”

Anna smile. “Plus, I really like TJ. He’s a keeper, no matter what his real name is. Even if it’s something ridiculous like Tarquin, I’d still like him better than Georgie.”