16

It's been over a year since I'd last driven my car, or any car for that matter

It's been over a year since I'd last driven my car, or any car for that matter. The light gray car my parents helped me buy when I was learning how to drive sat unused since I moved.

As a teenager, I absolutely could not wait to get my driver's license and my first car. But now, at twenty-two years old, I have no motivation to drive anywhere. I'm only driving now because I told Niall I would, but next time we're in France, I'm making him drive.

The entire way into town, Niall made comments about my driving. "There's a stop sign up there" He would tell me, "You know that means you have to stop."

I felt like I was taking my drivers test all over again.

"Are you sure you want to meet them?" I ask Niall, as I turn into the parking lot of my favorite restaurant.

"Do you want me to meet them?" He asks.

"Well, yeah." I respond, "Besides Celina, and you, they're my best friends."

"Then I want to meet them." Niall smiles, "C'mon let's not keep them waiting."

I already see the four of them sitting at what used to be our table. Almost everyday during the warm months, we sat at the outdoor table closest to the giant flower boxes and talked for hours. Gillian was sat in between Soleil and Lucy, the three of them facing the direction Niall and I were headed. Tommy was across from Lucy, his back to us, with two empty seats next to him.

Lucy was the first to spot us making our way over to the table. She immediately jumped up from her seat, accidentally knocking over her glass of water.

"Lucielle!" Gillian gasps, grabbing napkins to mop up the spilled water.

"I'm sorry." Lucy apologizes, "But look!"

All of their attention darts to us, giant smiles appearing on all their faces. Immediately, I'm met with a giant hug from Lucy.

"Béa!" She shouts.

Lucielle Martin, or Lucy, as I've always called her, has been my best friend since before primary school. In our 17 years of friendship, she's never failed to brighten my day. Lucy is quite unpredictable and very spontaneous. There's no way of knowing what she's going to do or say next. With Lucy, there's never been a dull moment.

"Oh my gosh, I missed you!" Lucy frantically says.

Her light brown hair has grown out since the last time I had seen her. She has long curtain bangs that frame her face, which I'm willing to bet that she cut herself. Once, when we were kids, I let her cut my bangs straight across and they stuck straight up. We both cried to my mother after that. I was crying because of my hair and Lucy was crying because she felt bad for ruining my hair.

"I missed you too!" I tell her.

She grins, "I've got so much to tell you! You need to come home more often."