six

"Hello?" He snapped his fingers in front of my face. "Earth to James!"

That's the first time he's said my name.

Never have I loved the sound of my name before coming out of someone's mouth.

I found myself wishing he'd say it again.

"Owen?" I repeated causing him to laugh.

I watched him give me an awkward smile. He brought his hands back to my body when I stumbled again. Oh no. His hands were around me again. He was making sure I was stable. I felt a jolt of electricity when his hands touched my skin. Why did I feel so dizzy all of a sudden? I think his hands were making it worse.

"Hey, Mini Miller," he whispered. "Are you okay?" This time I managed to nod my head slowly. He smiled. I gulped.

"Did they come together?" I heard someone whisper.

Shit. I had forgotten we were in the midst of a crowded party.

I looked over and found Lacey, Vanessa and Rebekah all with shocked looks on their faces. Their jaws were practically on the floor. I couldn't help but smirk, feeling proud of myself.

I turned my head back to Owen.

"Um... thanks for that," I said to him.

"No problem," he nodded his head. I bounced awkwardly on my feet, unsure of what to do now. I looked around, and luckily my two seconds of fame were over. Everyone had gone back to their respective conversations.

"So are you having fun?" I asked, looking up. I felt embarrassed to find him walking away.

He stopped when he reached a group of guys. I recognized them from school.

His back was towards me. He shoved his empty hand in his pocket, the other brought the red cup in his hand to his mouth.

I watched him turn slightly to the side, his eyes caught mine for a split second. Maybe he thought his cup was hiding his face, but I could've sworn I saw him smile. He gave me a nod and I smiled back at him.

Time to get back on track. I had to get Hunter alone. I was determined to tell him how I felt. I bit my lip, suddenly feeling like I wanted to leave.

I had never been to a party like this. Scratch that. I had never been to a party. I had never been on a date, never been kissed. I had never done a lot of things.

So the fact that two seconds ago Owen was holding me so close to him that I practically stopped breathing was really messing with my once clear head.

What was I here to do again?

I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned around and saw a girl standing in front of me. Her makeup made my eyes widen at how intense it was. Maybe it was actually the fact that she tried to pass her t-shirt as a dress.

"Hey... James, right?" She asked and I nodded my head nervously. "So you came here with Owen?"

"Um actually-" I tried to object but she wouldn't let me get a word in.

"Does that mean I can't ask him to dance?" She asked. She was speaking to me, but her eyes were looking behind me. I turned my head and followed her gaze. She was staring at Owen.

I turned back to look at her and she blew him a kiss. I watched her run her tongue along her mouth and wink at him. My head snapped back towards him. The look on his face was priceless. His eyes were wide. I quickly brought my hand to my mouth to hide the fact that I was laughing.

Was this girl being serious?

"No, go right ahead and ask him to dance," I said through my laugh.