25: The Secret Keeper

♧ 25: The Secret Keeper ♣

"Okay," Paige says as she plops down on the couch right next to me. "I think I've finally got it."

I look at Paige curiously before my eyes drift down to the small pile of paper in her hands. "Um, what do you have exactly?"

"Oh, nothing really," Paige brushes off casually. "Nothing but my essay for the Manchester scholarship."

My eyebrows raise in amazement. "You finished it?"

"Yup," She beams. "Last night. I want you to read over a part of it before I mail it in. If that's alright with you."

"Of course," I say enthusiastically. "I just can't believe you finished it."

"Yeah, I sorta can't believe I did, either," Paige admits. "Have you started your applications?"

I lick my lips. "Uh, define your definition of 'start'?"

Paige gives me a dead look. "So, I'm guessing that's a no?"

I sigh. "I just don't know where to apply to. It's kinda hard when I'm not even completely sure what I want to do."

"Well, just go to a university where there is a little bit of everything," Paige suggests. "That way you won't limit yourself."

"Yeah, I guess you've got a point," I admit, nodding my head.

"I still have the brochures if you want them," Paige offers me. "I know how much you loved them last time."

My nose scrunched up in disgust. "Yeah, I think I'm going to pass, thanks." I turn off the television, placing the remote on the end table before I turn and face Paige. "Well, let's see that essay."

"You want to read it now?" Paige asks, bringing her essay to her chest. 

"Why not?" I shrug. "I've got nothing better to do."

Paige looks down at her work before locking gazes with me. She sucks in her lower lip. "Alright, but I want your honest opinion. If it sucks, tell me, alright?"

"I promise, if it is complete crap, you’ll be the first to know,” I say jokingly, holding up my fore and middle finger up. "Not that it would be. So, let me see this masterpiece."

Slowly, Paige hands over her essay. Taking it in my hands, I look it over. It's easily over four pages long. I don't even know if she had to write this much for the scholarship. Next to me, I can feel Paige's eyes examining my every move. 

The essay reads:

Finding My Identity
By Paige Carter
Scholarship Essay

Everyone has a story. Some are easy to tell and some come out in the most surprising ways. Some are meant to be kept a secret and some are supposed to be shared with the world. However, when it comes down to it, your story makes up who you are.

I am my story and my story shaped me to be the person I am today. 

And my story starts with a dream.

It was just a dream. The same dream I've had since I was forced to move to Sydney, Australia. For two years that dream felt like the only constant thing in my life. It was the only thing I could count on and at the time, I felt like there was no moving on. However, like always,  I was quickly proven wrong.

I continue to read her essay, taking in each word. Despite the fact that I've already heard Paige's story before, I still can't help but feel like I'm learning something new at the same time. I can't help but want to get mad at her parents for doing what they did. For leaving Paige. Even if Paige doesn't care anymore, I do. How can someone not care about her? I've only known her for two months and I already feel closer to her than I have with anyone else here.

I look back up at Paige as I finish off the third page, "Woah."

"You finished?" She asks eagerly. 

"No, not yet," I answer. "But, I can already tell you that it's really good."

Paige smiles and opens her mouth to speak, but someone cuts her off, 

"What is really good?"

We both freeze and for a second, I have a mini panic attack as I think that it's Harry who asked the question. However, all fear fades when I see Zayn walking over to Paige and I with the usual smirk on his face.

"Nothing," Paige answers quickly.

Zayn narrows his eyes, obviously not convinced by Paige's words. "Really?" He questions as he glances at the papers in my hand.

"Yeah really, Zayn, it's nothing," I say as I glance over to Paige, who looks like she is going to have a heart attack if Zayn doesn't leave. 

"Nothing? Come on," Zayn pleads. "And to think I thought we were best friends! Friends don't keep secrets!"

"Best friends?" Paige repeats.