16: When You Have Nothing

Pulling my backpack over my shoulder, I continue along the sidewalk, dragging my feet in exhaustion. You'd think that working three ten hour shifts for three days in a row could be considered attempted murder in some countries. Let's just hope England is one of them. I mean, I'm happy to be getting hours in, but I haven't really been able to see the boys or Paige at all this week due to my long hours at Beatz. 

Looking up ahead, I see the front steps that lead to One Direction's flat. To my surprise, I see Zayn leaning against the brick wall, one hand deep in his pocket, the other one is holding a cigarette up to his lips. In this moment, Zayn looks like the perfect image of a bad boy. With his numerous tattoos showing, smoking, his ears pierced, the deep brooding eyes, he's any mothers nightmare. However, knowing him, I couldn't disagree more. 

I walk up to the steps, leaning against the stone railing, looking at Zayn. "I didn't know you smoke."

Zayn looks up to me, a small puff of smoke escaping his lips. "Sometimes I do. I don't do it often. Especially with Paige around."

"Why? Does she hate smokers?" I ask curiously.

"I guess you can say that," He replies with a smirk. He notices my work clothes. "So how was work?"

"Like death," I answer with a sigh. "Have you ever heard of someone dying due to rearranging CD's for too long? I bet it's going to happen to me."

"You're so overdramatic," He comments.

"Well, what do you expect?" I retort. "Stacking CD's, rearranging displays and sweeping. That's all I do. Not to mention I get paid next to nothing."

"Wow! Working less than a week and you're already complaining?" Zayn says shaking his head disapprovingly. "I thought you liked your job?"

"I do but then I don't," I sigh. "I liked going there when I didn't have to worry about people misplacing CD's. But, I guess it's better than nothing."

"See, that's the spirit," Zayn smiles, taking another drag of his cigarette. "But, you know, work is always a love-hate thing," Zayn laughs, leaning off the wall before taking a seat next to my feet. Feeling obligated, I sit down. 

"Oh, I'm sure you understand, Mr. I Have The Best Job In The World," I mock.

"Hey, it's not all fun and games," Zayn says defensively.

And I know that's the truth. The boys have given up so much to be where they are now. Like time with their family, the luxuries of a normal life, privacy. Everything they do is broad casted and they have to deal with that. It's their job. All part of the glitz and glam of fame.

Which I am now dragged into. 

I don't know why I didn't expect it before. Just living with them will spike peoples interests and I have no idea how people haven't found out that One Direction has taken in a homeless girl. I guess it's a good thing too. I don't know what I'd do if I were to be suddenly thrown into the spotlight.

And suddenly I remember something.

"Hey, Zayn," I say, turning to him. "Have you seen that picture of us on Twitter?"

"So, you did see that," He states simply, putting the cigarette back to his lips.

"How could I miss it?" I deadpan.

"Okay, I need to ask you something," Zayn says, turning towards me, suddenly serious. 

My eyes widen at the sudden change. He has to ask me something? Feeling my insides tense up, I suddenly feel the need to pretend that I didn't hear him. However, by the way he is looking at me expectantly, I don't see how that will work. He'll either think I'm stupid or deaf.