^always have been, always will be^

don't go home without me: lights

in a world that you're not near
don't go home without me
———

'Word coming late tonight that Congress is considering temporary mutant internment facilities for those whose powers have been deemed a clear and present danger to human citizens. This coming on the heels of the Jean Grey incidents which, after destroying two communities, and attacking police and military personnel-'

Charles quickly shut off the tv that both him and Max had been watching. After Scott and Charles had explained what was happening to her, she had been staying in the Professors study as they wanted her to be monitored just in case she connected with Jean again. To find her location.

Maxine had already changed out of her dress from the funeral, now wearing a cropped black shirt, no sleeves and a pair of black cargo pants with a red bomber jacket and heel boots with grips on the bottom.

Laying down on the couch that the Professor had in his office, she watched as he wheeled over to his desk and picked up the Presidents telephone

She heard the tone of someone picking up and Charles started to speak, "This is Charles Xavier. I'd like to talk to the president."

'Mr. Xavier, this phone will no longer be operational.'

"I have to tell him not to do this. There's no need to throw away everything we've accomplished. You have to give us a chance and-" The line disconnected and he stalled for a second before slamming the phone back down. His breathing got heavier as he didn't take his hand off the phone.

"It was only a matter of time."

Charles looked up to see Max looking at the black screen of the tv, trying to see if she could turn it back on with her mind.

"What?"

"People fear the strange and unusual, we, ourselves, are strange and unusual." She looked over to him as she repeated what she said to him all those years ago. They looked at each other for a second as Charles remembered when he had first found her.

***

"I shouldn't stay here. I can't stay here." She said, fiddling with her fingers.

He looked at her before a second and clasped his hands in his lap, "Okay..why not?"

"I don't belong in a place like this." Maxine said simply, looking up at him from her hands.