Part 2

It could've been hours. It could've been days. Without any windows or clocks in your sight, you had no sense of time passing. You had fallen asleep a couple of times out of pure exhaustion, your body using up all its energy trying to heal itself. You had just begun to count the ceiling tiles for the fourth time when two men walked into the room.

You recognized them both from your first encounter with them. One of the men was the one you had dubbed the "leader". He gave off an air of superiority, and you recalled him being in charge before the shooting. He also was the only one that had worn a dress shirt and slacks every single time you saw him. The second man was the one who had called you by your adopted name, Nari. He seemed annoyed by your existence, and if this were any other reality, you'd let him know you were just as annoyed by his. Except this wasn't an alternate universe, and you were, unfortunately, completely at their mercy, so you stayed silent.

You maintain eye contact with the leader as he walks up to you, a perfectly blank expression on his face.

"Let's cut the bullshit and be honest with each other. Are you connected to the Baem?"

"I already told you. I have no idea who that is."

A loud scoff was let out in response, which causes a little irritation and a lot of panic to course through you. The men clearly didn't believe a word that came out of your mouth, and that would only end badly for you.

"I'm not lying to you! I swear."

The second man walks closer to the bed you were strapped to, pulling your attention towards him. "How come you don't have a history?"

"I... what?" You ask, confused by the question and the abrupt topic change.

"You have no background from before you were in the foster home. Why?" He accusingly barks, his sharp cheekbones casting shadows on his face.

"I didn't know that I didn't...?" Hearing that your background had been erased surprised you... You had a couple of guesses why, but you weren't willing to share with the class. How did they even know that you didn't have a past? Were they that well connected? "How do you know?"

"You'd be surprised about what I know." He responds with a smirk.

The leader, who was quietly watching the exchange, eyes you suspiciously. "You paused."

"What?"

"When he asked you, you paused... You're hiding something, and if I were you, I would fess up."

Shit. He was sharp. Why did you keep underestimating these guys? This is real deal shit here, and you're acting like it's not. You have to be more careful.

"I was just gonna say maybe it's because I was in a really bad foster home? I don't know, they could've lost my records or something..."

Both men stare at you silently, clearly thinking you were lying through your teeth. Which you were, at least a tiny bit, but you were going to do what you had to do to survive and make it out of this, and if they ever found out who you really were, you would probably be dead on the spot.

The short, ruder male broke the silence.

"That's an awful fucking excuse."

"I don't know! I don't know why I don't have a background!"

The leader sighs. "Well, until you can figure out why the Baem are after you, if they even are, you'll be staying here, under our watchful eye."

"What if I don't want to?"

He scrunches his eyebrows at your question. "Did I make it sound like you had a choice? I don't give a fuck what you want right now. You're not going anywhere until we figure out who you really are."