5| Trial

Chapter 5: Trial (Ella's POV)

It was now the day after and we're currently driving to Meralith. Everything has to be planned before it can kick off into place. We're planning for my wedding. My wedding. I'm getting married. 

What. The. Hell? 

"Princess Ella," their butler greeted me while opening the door for us. I get a special greeting? 

"Hello, Mr. Bruce," I grinned, walking past him behind my parents. 

"Rebecca, the Smiths are here!" Mr. Williams called out from the bottom of the stairs. I take it his wife is upstairs. 

Nicholas or Nick is what I should say. Nick came rushing out of a room with a large door from the right side of the palace. I glanced at him, then at the door, then the book in his hands. 

A library. 

He looked at me, confusion etched onto his face. I glanced at the book, then the door behind him then looked at him with an impressed expression etched onto my face. He rolled his eyes with a smile before asking Mr. Bruce to put the book back in the library. He then walked over to us, greeting my dad first, then introducing himself to my mom. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Mrs. Smith." 

"The pleasure is all mine, son," she smiled. 

I glanced at her and resisted an eye roll. 

She's probably picturing what our kids would look like. 

He then turned to me, "Hello." 

"Hello," I smiled. 

He stood beside me, leaning down to my ear. "I notice you appreciate readers." He notices a lot of things about me. Don't you think? 

I smiled, turning to him, going up on my toes to whisper in his ear. "I appreciate that you read. Otherwise, we'd have a problem." 

He smiled, biting back a chuckle before bowing his head slightly and then standing beside his dad right in front of us as his mom descended the stairs. Oh, my God. She is beautiful. 

"Dad," I whispered. 

"Yes?" He turned to me. 

"She's a little intimidating, what if she doesn't like me?" 

"Then make her like you, sweetheart," my mom said, pushing me to the front. 

I gritted my teeth in annoyance while walking over to Nick and his parents. I greeted his dad first and then turned to his mother. "Mrs. Williams, it's a pleasure to meet you," I smiled at her. 

"The pleasure is all mine," she smiled back. Both of us curtseyed for formalities sake. I then stood there for a moment, while she scanned me head to toe. She then turned to Nick. "She's beautiful," she gushed. 

I let out a breath in relief. I truly feel like I was here on trial. Literal trial. Like my fate was about to be determined by the jury that is Nick's parents. 

"Oh, please. Let's skip the formalities, we're here to plan ceremonies and weddings, let's continue with that," she chuckled walking over to my parents. Our mothers talked while our fathers walked in silence and we all followed them out to the backyard. Our fathers led the way with our mothers trailing behind and Nick and me following at the very end. 

"Still breathing?" he whispered. 

"I'm trying," I nodded. 

He chuckled, holding his arm out for me to link mine with. I raised my eyebrows at him with a smile. He shrugged at me with a small smirk and I linked my arm through his, walking alongside him. He looked down at my feet then back at me. "Wearing heels?" he smirked.