26| Announcement

Chapter 26: Announcement (Nicholas' POV)

"We are hosting a ball." 

"A ball?" I asked my mother in confusion as we all sat at the table for lunch. 

"Well, we have an announcement," my father said. 

"Which is?" I questioned. 

"That you two are officially trying," my mom sighed. 

"Pardon?" Ella and I asked in sync. 

"Well, of course, we will not announce like that," my dad chuckled. Ella and I looked at each other, rolling our eyes. "Just an announcement about the upcoming heir." 

"Sh-shouldn't we do this when I am pregnant?" Ella asked. I know what she is thinking and where she is coming from. We are not trying to have a baby but we are telling everyone, even other kingdoms, that we are. Not only does that make her vulnerable and bring her into the public eye, but it also will embarrass her when we say we are unable to get pregnant. I cannot let her be humiliated like that. 

"There is no big difference. You will be pregnant soon enough, we are just announcing it in advance," he shrugged. 

"No, father. That is wrong. We are just trying, what if we fail?" She grabbed my hand under the table tightly. But I know what I am doing. And it's the right thing to do. 

"Why would you fail if you really are trying, Nicholas?" he asked. 

"What if I am infertile?" 

She facepalmed, letting out a sigh. "Really?" she mumbled, turning to me. 

"Then both of you can be tested. Tomorrow," he shrugged. 

"No," Ella said quickly. "I am not comfortable with that. I would like for it to happen... naturally," she said, digging her nails into my hand. She's cleaning up the mess I just made. I could have said that a lot better. "And after a certain point of time, if I am still not pregnant, then we can get tested, right Nicholas?" I looked at her guiltily. 

"Of course," I mumbled. She shook her head at me, pulling her hand out of mine. 

"Well, we can still host the ball," my mother said. We both looked at her in shock. "Just to wish them luck, right Benjamin?" She turned to my dad, shooting us a reassuring look. 

"Yes, of course." He nodded. 

After lunch, we all excused ourselves. 

"Mother," I said. "I am taking Ella out for a drive, will that be okay? I'm not needed for any work, am I?" 

"No dear, you go ahead. I will surely catch you up," she smiled. 

I grabbed Ella's hand and pulled her outside. "Where are we going?" she asked in confusion. 

"For a drive," I smirked. I grabbed the keys to the convertible and we sat inside and I started driving her, taking her to the same viewpoint I did our first time together. 

We were driving in silence until she started laughing to herself. "Nick," she sighed. 

"What?" I chuckled, looking at her in confusion. 

"I cannot believe you said 'what if I am infertile?'" she laughed, throwing her head back. "Was that necessary?" she asked, looking at me. 

"No, but it was the only thing I could think of," I smiled, keeping my eyes on the road. 

"Hey, hey, hey!" She straightened out, looking to her right. I slowed down the car, following her gaze. I saw a group of little kids, from ages three to five or maybe six, running around and playing hopscotch. "What is that place?" she asked, smiling while watching them.