20| Threat

Chapter 20: Threat (Nicholas' POV)

I opened the door to his study and stepped inside, standing in front of him silently, my hands resting on the chair in front of him. "You asked for me?" 

He sighed, "Clearly, you are not understanding why I am so persistent that you and Ella have a child. I have no choice anymore. I will try explaining everything to you. Have a seat," he nodded. 

"No, thank you. I can hear just as well while standing," I scoffed. 

"Once you and Ella bring an heir to our throne, Nicholas. We as a royal family will flourish. We will successfully improve Meralith and we can go further." I eyed him quizzically. "We can get control over Velaris." 

"We already have control over Velaris with this marriage?" 

He shook his head, "We will have complete control over Velaris." 

"How is that possible? We are not the royal family of that kingdom," I stated. 

"We can be if the heir to the throne is your blood." 

I sighed in frustration, "What are you on about?" 

"Your child will rightfully be the one to take over our throne as well as the throne of Velaris." 

"And Ella? Before our child grows up, she is the rightful heir to the throne of Velaris." 

"Then we prevent that from happening." 

What the hell is he fucking talking about? "I do not have time for your schemes," I rolled my eyes, turning to leave. 

"This is not a scheme, Nicholas!" he yelled. 

I turned to him, sighing. "Then what is it? Why are you telling me about this? What do you want from me?!" I snapped. 

"I want you to think and act like a king. If we want Velaris then..." 

"Then what?!" 

"Then we must get Ella out of the way." 

I stared at him processing his words and hoping he wasn't implying what I thought. "O-out of the way?" I stammered. 

"We must have her assassinated." 

"Are you insane, father?!" I yelled. "Assassinated? To rule her kingdom? Do you hear yourself?!" 

"Do you hear me?!" He shot out of his seat. "That is the only way! Once she is assassinated, Meralith will continue to be ours and so will Velaris. Solely ours!" 

"I cannot believe you. You are so greedy for power that you are willing to have your daughter-in-law killed!" 

"It is not necessary that I have her killed!" I stared at him in disbelief. "If you do it." 

"You are out of your mind!" I laughed sarcastically. I turned around, determined to leave this time. 

"If you refuse, Nicholas. Then I will make sure someone else does." 

I halted, turning to him. "What the hell do you mean?" 

"I mean, Nicholas... If you refuse to do it, I will have someone else do it for me," he said casually. 

"Is that a threat?" 

"Take it as you like," he chuckled. 

"I do not have time for your games, tell me what you are implying," I said through gritted teeth. 

"I am suggesting that if you do not kill her, I will hire someone to do it on my behalf. It is a threat, Nicholas. Or a warning," he shrugged.