18| Council

Chapter 18: Council (Nicholas' POV)

We just stood like that for a minute. "If I wasn't wrong then how come you brought me out?" I questioned. 

"You are not wrong, Nick. But being right doesn't mean you must show disrespect." She pulled back to look at me. "I understand that he was not being respectful either, but just for the sake of morals, he is your father. Don't speak to him like that," she shook her head softly. "He will give his opinions and orders, but that doesn't mean we must obey." She rolled her eyes. "At the end of the day, we will only have a child when we want, so..." 

I raised my eyebrow at her, my arms resting on her waist. 

"Fuck it," she scoffed. I chuckled, my head resting on her shoulder. "It does not matter what he says," she chuckled, scratching the back of my head with her nails. It felt nice. "Okay?" she laughed. 

"Okay," I sighed. I wasn't thinking and it slipped my mind that we're taking things slow and steady, so I gently pressed a kiss to her neck. I could hear her breath hitch in her throat while she froze momentarily. "Sorry." I pulled back, looking down at her. 

"It... it doesn't matter," she shook her head, waving her hand dismissively. I stared at her in amusement while she nervously tucked her hair behind her ear. 

"Um- I," she chuckled, her cheeks coated in a pink hue while she fidgeted with her earring. "Okay," she cleared her throat, looking up at me and trying to gather herself together. But when she looked at me again, she started smiling uncontrollably and bit back a small giggle. "Uh..." 

"Is something wrong?" I smirked. She shook her head quickly. 

There was a knock on the door and we both turned to it. My mother stepped inside. "Sorry to interrupt, Nicholas, Ella, the council is here to meet you." 

"Council?" Ella frowned in confusion. 

"The advisory board. There is no meeting occurring any time soon, they would just like to get familiar with you both," she explained. "They are familiar with Nicholas, however, they must meet you, Ella," she chuckled. 

"We'll be right there," I smiled. 

She left and then we turned to each other. I was about to taunt her but she shook her head. "Do not say a word," she chuckled. 

"Shall we?" I linked her arm with mine and we walked out, heading downstairs. 

The board consists of five people. There are four men and one woman named Mrs. Victoria. She's the only woman on the council board and she doesn't get the respect she deserves, that has always angered me, which is why I always listen to her. 

"Ella, this is Mrs. Victoria," I introduced. Ella smiled, taking a small curtsey. "Mr. Harrison, Mr. Klaus, Mr. Arthur, and Mr. Albert," I spoke the rest of the names. She greeted them all with a handshake. "This is Princess Ella of Velaris, my wife." 

"It's a pleasure to meet you all," Ella smiled. 

"And you," Mrs. Victoria smiled. 

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes that came along with knowing that none of these men were going to greet her nicely. "I would like you all to know," I cleared my throat. "Once we are crowned king and queen, Ella will be present at all council meetings and will be there to give her input, suggestions, ideas, and everything that comes along with it. Her opinions and views will be accepted and valued as much as all of ours," I clarified. 

I witnessed some of their faces fall. "Anything else?" 

Silence. 

"Very well, you all enjoy the rest of your day," I smiled. The men left right away but Mrs. Victoria stayed back, speaking with Ella for a short while. She left shortly after and then Ella turned to me. "What were you talking about?" I asked while we headed back upstairs to our room.