1| Ball gowns

Chapter 1: Ball gowns (Ella's POV)

I groaned, taking my heels off. It's not like anybody can see them under this huge ball gown anyway. 

"Ms. Ella?" There was a knock at my door. 

"Come in!" I called out. 

One of our housekeepers, Mrs. Elizabeth stepped in. "Your mother has requested you come downstairs to join her and her friends for some tea." 

"And would you mind taking my place, Mrs. E?" 

She chuckled, shaking her head. "I couldn't." I stood up, straightening out my dress. "Ma'am, your heels?" 

"They can go to hell," I smiled. She shook her head laughing while I walked past her, heading down to the garden where my mom is having tea with her friends. I walked over, standing beside my mom's chair. "You called for me, mother?" 

Yes, I have to call her mother. At least in front of people. 

"Dear, you must join us. In fact, we were just discussing your marriage." 

"Excuse me, my what?" I sputtered. 

"Not now, honey. Just for the future." 

I let out a sigh of relief, sitting down in one of the chairs, listening while making myself some tea. I squinted at the sunlight that was blinding us but none of the other women seemed to be bothered. 

"Honey, sit up straight," my mom whispered. I resisted an eye roll and straightened up. 

"Ella!" I looked up, spotting my dad calling me from the balcony. 

"Excuse me," I smiled, standing up and walking away. I entered the house. It's a castle but I act like I don't notice. It kind of freaks me out. 

I headed upstairs and to his study which has the balcony he was just calling me from. I stepped out, standing beside him. "Yes, dad?" He shot me a pointed look. "What, nobody's here. What's up?" 

He shook his head, smiling. "We just got word from Merralith." 

I groaned, "What have they said now?" 

"They'll keep this war going until we can come to a conclusion and call a truce." It's not a literal war but you get the point.

"How would we do that?" 

"Well, they have a suggestion." 

"Which is?" 

He sighed, turning to me. "By wedding you and Nicholas." 

I snorted, "Haha." He's not laughing. "Are you serious? Dad, I'm twenty." 

"You just turned twenty-one last week, Ella." 

I groaned, "Yeah, but... I don't want to get married yet." 

"Why don't you just meet him once? The last time you saw you were thirteen years old. See the boy once. Maybe you'll like him." 

"Dad," I sighed. 

"Then maybe you can know him and this war between our kingdoms can finally be over and I can step down in peace," he let out a breath, pinching the bridge of his nose. 

I stared at him, feeling the guilt taking over my heart. I smacked myself internally for doing this. "Okay," I said, accepting my defeat. He looked up at me with surprise. "I'll meet him. But no promises, dad. I'm not saying he'll be my husband," I scoffed. 

He nodded, chuckling before pulling me into a hug. "I'll arrange a meeting with them tomorrow, all right?" 

I nodded in understanding. "Then I'd best go pick a dress." I took a curtsey exaggeratedly before turning and leaving. I ran my hand through my hair, stepping into my room, closing the door behind me.