Chapter 12: Thawfest

Every year on Berk, we come together to test our strength, endurance, and courage in the annuel Thawfest games. I can't participate anymore since I need my sight to win, but that doesn't bother me. I never win anyway. The only thing that bothers me is our Thawfest Champion. Snotlout. He has never lost a Thawfest and boasts about it constantly. Hiccup hates that he loses constantly, but this year, he has a chance to win. This year the Thawfest games will include--

"Dragons." Gobber announces to us. "They are now officially part of Thawfest. There will be 3 additional events. The Fly and Shoot, which will require you to fly straight and shoot straighter." Tuff and Ruff fire at Gobber who dodges the blast. "Hey!"

"Sorry, we're on the wrong head." Tuff says.

"I knew something was wrong." Ruff says. They fire again, Gobber barely dodging it.

"Oh, much better." Tuff says.

"Next is the Freestyle, where it's up to you to impress the judges with a trick of your choice." Gobber continues. Astrid is practicing one of the many moves I showed her. I do have the most experience flying and I have been teaching Astrid some tricks. Other villagers will sometimes drop by to watch us practice.

"That's it girl, just like Nara showed us." Astrid says.

"A Nadder wing lock. Impressive Astrid." Gobber complements.

"Um, excuse me. Meatlug and I were wondering if there were going to be any intellectual events. A puzzle, perhaps." Fishlegs asks hopefully. I sigh. I'm sorry Fishlegs, but no. Most vikings don't care for intelligence.

"I'll take that under advisement, Fishlegs. And let's not forget the Hurdles, where you'll be asked to--" Gobber starts, but Snotlout comes flying in, cheering and clanking all his many many many Thawfest medals. He dismounts and swaggers towards Hiccup.

"You know what I love about the Thawfestival games. Winning! Wanna touch one of my medals, just to feel how it is to be a winner." Snotlout brags.

"I-I-I think I'll pass." Hiccup stutters.

"My family has never lost a Thawfest games. Ever!" Snotlout says, getting ready for the monologue he recites every year.

"Here we go." Astrid says.

"Dragons or no dragons, I'll do what I do every year. Bring glory to the Jorgenson clan. And you'll do what you do. Embarrass yours. Hahahaha! Let's go, Hookfang." Snotlout says. Hookfang immediately takes off, Snotlout dangling from the saddle. "I will crush you all!" He calls as Hookfang flies away.

Later that night, I return from the woods with Astrid. I give her a quick goodnight kiss and then head home. I hide the hickeys from Dad and Hiccup and go upstairs. Hiccup is working on upgrades for Toothless' saddle. He starts muttering to himself about things I don't really understand. I get to bed and Dad comes upstairs. I know it's going to be about winning the Thawfest, since dragons are now going to be a part of them. I'm too drained to listen to them. Who knew intense makeout sessions were so tiring.

The next day, the whole village is around the arena, cheering. Bucket and Mulch are the commentators as usual, so I sit with them. Dad is down in the arena with the other teens.

"Let the Thawfestival games begin!!!" Dad announces. The villagers erupt into cheers. I hear a chest open and Terrible Terrors fly out and form a pattern. It must have been good, cause the villagers all gasp and applaud.

Dad is replaced by Gobber and the teens all line up.

"The contestants are lining up for the Sheep Lug." Mulch says into the huge horn, projecting his voice all around the arena.