Bree - Kayce's baby

The sun beats down on me as I ride to keep up with my daughter's horse. Bree Kayc Dutton at least I gave her their family name. Kayce and I aren't married but she deserves their name. She's got her father's hair color combination with mine, bright green eyes and she's a rebellious one. I let her get on a horse at only 10 years old, she's got her height from her father. I pull put my phone watching her dismount her horse, throwing her hat in victory letting her hair blow in the wind.

"Ye - ha! Beat you again mamaw!"

A childish grin on her face which makes me smile while dialing a very emotional phone number. I shouldn't be calling Kayce after the stunt he pulled but he's still her father.

"Hey kayce, it's me y/n....I know you want nothing to do your family's  ranch but I'm here - so if you want to see me...come home" I hang up hearing a certain truck pull up. A young boy my daughter's age jumped out causing a dark haired woman to chase after him. "Tate - get back here!"

John exits the house picking up the boy Tate in his arms as he calls out. "Grandpa!"

Finally I see Kayce step out of his truck. Picking my hat up off the saddle I put it on my head in a heavy sigh, wearing a green tea shirt with a dark blue flannel thrown over, dark blue jeans and black boots. The hat I wear is the one he gave me the day after we met asking me on a date. Bree jumps in my arms in her own little ranch get up, walking over to her grandpa. He takes her hand and tate's saying. "You're a cowgirl and cowboy today." Monica looks my way as I rub my hands up my arms in nervous. I've never seen her before until now - he was right she's pretty too. Kayce steps beside her, coming my way.

His eyes show shock I guess he hasn't listened to the messages I've sent him. He fully reaches me stuffing his hands in his jacket pocket.
"Hey y/n - you're still here"

Nodding my head slowly I point a finger towards my girl. "Hi Kayce...do you know who that is?"

He barely turned his head watching our daughter and his son with his father. He shakes his head no looking at the ground in disappointment. "She's - she's your daughter, kayce."

He bits his lip, as I lock eyes with him. The world around us becomes thick and everything else fades away. He still looked handsome and I cringe noticing the wedding band on his finger - I had to remember that he's no longer mine. He steps closer to me, his breath on my face is hot.

"If you a - don't mind could I take you on a ride. With um-" I reply simply. "Bree kayc - Dutton." He smiled as I tipped my hat to him seeing Rip coming over to me. "Y/n, it's time. Tell your girl to stay in the house." I race for the house having kayce chase after me.

"Y/n What's  - What's happening?" He kept up with me as I finally found my daughter and Tate playing together on the porch. I sigh taking my hat off to run my fingers through my hair before putting it back on, glancing up in his eyes. "We're taking the cattle back tonight  - I'm being a lead with your father and Lee." I try to take a step forward but his hand grabs my wrist stopping me.

"Y/n you can't do that, it's dangerous" I Iightly pulled from his grasp, wissiling to the kids to wave them inside the house. They run past us as I direct with a hand for him to sit as I sit on the swing looking out at the sunset. "Kayce I know you care about me and want to protect me. But...you gave up that right to look out for me the day you left with Monica...so I'm sorry but this ranch - has become my home, our daughter's home. And I have to fight for it." I dust my hands off on my pants getting up only to be spun around to face kayce, who smashed his lips down on mine. I gasped knowing this is wrong but it feels right so I kiss him back lightly gripping his brown vest. We stay like this for a few minutes and I pulled him closer making our hats fall on the ground. As much as I wish we could've stayed like this we couldn't so I broke away from him and he gasped.