Love Ain't Complicated Anymore

Shutting the truck door my boots hit the muddy dirt. I had gone into town to get some stuff Bree had asked for since the baby was making her life miserable today. Carrying my hat in my freehand I saw Lioyd was climbing down from his horse. "Morning Lloyd, how is everything going with the cattle? I am sorry that Kayce and I have been so busy with our daughter and all."

"You ain't gotta apologize for that, Y/n. The family of this place is what matters. The cattle don't have to bother with our life." He responded back, coming to lean against the metal fence.

Sitting the bag of groceries down on the ground I smiled putting my hands on my hip. "I wanted to thank you. For helping ne when Kayce and I were fighting. It wasn't right for Bree to see that so I'm glad she had you there."

"Your little darling is so sweet. If she's anything like you dear she will turn out to be a very good mamma...Hey, I was heading up to the rodeo tonight would ya'll want to come with me?" He asked tipping his hat to me, smiling.

Grabbing the bag of stuff I heard the front door open with Maxon barking his head off as he ran down the porch steps. Bree stopped holding her hands up when he placed his front paws on her growing stomach. "Easy boy. I won't get her going down steps." She explains seeing that he wasn't letting her move another step.

"Maxon! Here boy." I called hitting my hands on my knees where he dropped on all fours rushing over to me. "Hey little B go find your siblings and tell them to get ready for the rodeo tonight. LIoyd is taking us there for the evening."

She nodded, turning on her heels and up the wooden stairs. "Alright mamma."

Entering the main house with the golden retriever following me at the heel of my boots. Going upstairs to our bedroom I shut the door knowing that Kayce was finishing up something in the barn since it wouldn't take him as long to get ready. Pushing some shirts away I gasped catching a box that I had put up on a shelf not really remembering what was inside of it. Laying the lid down I gasped feeling some tears seeing a picture of Lee and I hugging one another in a sidebar at a rodeo when Bree was still a baby. "Oh Lee, I hope you were right about us..."

"I feel uneasy about not carrying around my little girl right now." I admitted to him while we were sitting on some barstools waiting for the events to start.

The eldest Dutton sent me a look smiling back at me. "Look, I don't think it would be hard to be away from her. But I think you deserve a night out where you can have adult fun."

"I appreciate it, Lee. I haven't really been out of the house since forever..." I paused hearing a familiar song playing where I sat my beer bottle down squealing. "Oh my gosh. I love this song!"

Lee sat his drink down, tipping his hat and offering me his freehand smirking down at me. "Do you wanna dance with Y/n?"

"Sure thing, cowboy." Placing my hands in his we headed away from the bar so we had room to dance. He placed his right hand in mine. I put my hand on his shoulder and his other on my hip.

Lee started singing slowly, twirling me underneath his arm when he spun me out and back into his chest. "I wonder what he's doing. (Love ain't) feelin' like a fool and. (You can't). Keep lettin' him do it to you, uh. 'Cause love ain't you on a sidewalk in your new dress all alone."

"Love ain't you callin' me 'cause he ain't pickin' up his phone. The way you're talkin' sounds like he's somebody you should hate. I may not know what love is girl, but I know what love ain't." I sang meeting his gaze spinning him under my arm as best as I could, making him lose his hat and it fall on the ground.

He chuckled, picking it up off the ground dusting it off. He sits in on my head before we finish the ending of the song. "I may not know what love is girl, but I know what love ain't. Come over, let me show you what he can't. 'Cause he can only show you what love ain't. Love ain't (love ain't) yeah yeah. (Love ain't) love ain't."

"Y/n, the thing between you and my brother is complicated. And I understand if you don't want to give him another chance since he left you when he got another girl pregnant. But I do think ya'll can find your way back to one another." Kayce's oldest brother declared squeezing my hands intertwined with his.

Grinning up at him I hope that he was right and one day I did find my way back to him like the romantic couple would in the movies. "Maybe one day you are right, Lee. We will have a fairytale life of some sort."

"Come on kiddos. This way I'll get us some good seats." LIoyd pushed the twins along with Bree and Tate following after him.

I paused in my step leaning against the fence sniffing a little since we had passed the bar that Lee and I had gone to when we were split up. Kayce walked up to me resting a hand on my shoulder seeing that I was a little upset. "Hey, you alright honey?"

"I uh - I came here with your brother Lee. And he...he told me that he hoped that we would find our way back to each other." I sniffled feeling some tears falling down until he cupped my face in his larger hands making me look into his brown eyes.

He pressed his forehead down onto mine and sniffed through some tears of his own. "Hey now. Don't focus on the past. We can't change what happened...but he was right. We are meant to be together, you and I. We are a team. I love you, my sweet darling."

"I love you too, Kayc...I'm sorry about this. I shouldn't be getting emotional when this is a night with the kids." He puts a finger to my lips, cutting me off before he wiped away the stray tears.

"Don't shut your emotions out. Alright you know what we are going to do. We are going on a date night tomorrow just the two of us. Because we need some time away from our kids even though I know we love them like crazy."

Burying my face against his chest gripping his jacket in my fingers he put his chin on top of my head. Footsteps ran over to us where we saw that it was Elsa who was wearing Lioyd' hat on her head where it was way too big. "Mommy. Daddy, I want to rodeo when I grow up."

"Well sweet girl. You have to wait until you're big enough to ride a horse on your own. But I bet Uncle Lloyd will be thrilled to teach you." Picking her up from the ground Kayce ruffled her hair handing him back his hat when we went to find our seats.

Kayce wrapped his arm around my waist mumbling into my ear when I leaned into his embrace seeing the kids all entertained by the events. "You don't have to hide anything from me, love. I will always be here." I felt a pit in my gut at his words since I hadn't yet told him about Jaime's phone call the other night. But that would be a problem for down the road hopefully.

Comments really appreciated ❤️

Hey ya'll let me know what you would like to see. I am open to any ideas because writers block sucks