Chapter 26: War of Many Fronts

Voldemort smiled as spellfire flashed in front of him. Bellatrix and Lucius exchanged spells, shields flashing to life in moments, spells were dodged and countered in mid-air. Bellatrix, in true Black fashion, was a maelstrom of magic; curses, shields, cackling as she darted around, a wand in one hand and a silver dagger in the other. Lucius was not idle, his wand always moving as he utilized minute transfigurations to help increase his defensive abilities. His precision was surgical; cutting curses that slipped through shields due to a crack, bludgeoning charms that scattered streams of pebbles like buck shot to force a response, curses that caused immense pain mixed with anything that would get a response, even if it was a flinch.

Voldemort snapped his fingers just as Lucius's eyes flashed dangerously in response to a slight fumble Bellatrix had with the wand in her fingers.

"Enough."

The spells immediately stopped flying, Lucius canceling the curse he was about to utilize. Bellatrix bowed to Voldemort. "I am sorry my lord. The wand... it was so restrictive... I couldn't perform to my lord's standards..."

Voldemort merely smiled as he idly summoned the woman closer. Gently placing his hand against her cheek, he stroked his thumb down her face. An act that didn't fail to make her nuzzle slightly into the warmth of his flesh. Her face was cold, nearly resonating with the chill of Azkaban even after escaping close to a year past.

"My faithful Bellatrix... do not worry about my expectations. You were... Adequate considering the circumstances. That you are even capable of fighting with a wand that does not acknowledge you is proof of your devotion. Devotion that I shall reward... now."

He leaned down and whispered into her ear," You shall accompany me, along with one other, to a meeting I have with the Goblins of Gringotts. During my meeting, you shall acquire an asset for me." His warm breath made the woman shudder, a fact that Voldemort noticed as he continued to stroke her cheek. "Any resistance... can be met with death."

Breathlessly, Bellatrix replied, "Yes my lord." Even when she was gently pushed away, she was lost in the bliss of her master's grace, so much so that she nearly missed his next commands.

"Lucius, gather the resources necessary for a treatise with the werewolves. Yes, that means I want to meet with Greyback. Do be certain to mention that if he attacks me again, he will not have a pack to lead. Travers, Mulciber, how fare the giants?" Voldemort asked as he strode towards a bookshelf. Plucking a book from the shelves, he swiftly flicked through it looking for a reference.

Travers, a man who was rail thin and sporting an immaculately groomed beard and thick brown hair, spoke, his voice cool and level. "We have successfully partitioned Clan Scrud of 24 out of their 32 giants. The remaining are either children, small or Elders. Mulciber has been working with Clan Jurd. He can explain that better than I.... I am sorry I don't remember much of the conversation..." With a confused face, the Death Eater trailed off as his master looked on in understanding. Glancing at Lucius, Voldemort nodded before motioning for Mulicber to begin.

Mulicber began his report, his voice waspy as if he had smoked muggle cigarettes for decades. He too was rather thin, yet was beginning to show his former muscular body. On his left hip was a saber held shut with a lock that held no keyhole. Mulicber smiled, showing off teeth that were black and broken. "My Lord, Clan Jurd is smaller than Clan Scrud, but they're bigger. The shortest is 14 foot. The tallest, Varvak, is 22. I got all 15 of 'em to agree to fight. Only asked to try muggle. Said it was a flavor they hadn't had." The man started to chuckle, a hitching wheeze that only signified mirth by the smile on his face. Voldemort allowed the room a small amount of levity as he found the reference he needed.

"Good. Antonin, you will be with Bellatrix and I. Bellatrix knows your assignment." With a snap, the tomb closed and was casually levitated back to its shelf as Voldemort started to walk out of the room. " I must secure the position of our... generous bankers." With a sweeping motion, his cloak was around him and he was out of the room, his two Inner Circle members behind him.