Chapter 6: Training, Tasks and Magic

Minerva McGonagall stared at her class of fourth years. The first class since the Choosing, there was only one face not present. That face's name however was on every student's lips in the room. Even the Slytherins were excited, though not for the fact that the Chosen was a Gryffindor but that it was a fourth year. A peer of theirs was a Chosen and it could have been them. While she did not deny them their ability, Minerva knew better. Harry Potter was special. But, it was still time for her to earn her kibble as Albus was fond of saying. Minerva coughed softly. When the class did not quiet down, she flicked her wand. The first five desks, students and all, floated into the air, and switched places. The students were shocked that the straight-laced professor would ever do such a thing.

"Now that I have your attention, it is time for Transfiguration. You may chatter after class. The next one that opens their mouths for reasons other than transfiguration, I will take 20 points and put you into detention. Good. Now we are talking about Simple Conjuring. The laws of creation were our notes earlier in the term, so who can tell me them?

Class continued as such, with the eventual conjuring of a small objects such as pieces of hay, straw and string. Eventually, Minerva called a stop." That is enough class, homework for next time. I want 3 feet on how the Laws of Creation effect conjuring if you failed to conjure your objects to my satisfaction! Dismissed." The students packed up their bags, and slowly trickled out of the room.

For Minerva the day continued as such. She taught three classes that day, grading essays in between them. Finally, her last class was dismissed and the second years ambled out of the room. She flicked her wand, cleaning the room of any stray parchment or quills before she left herself. She had a meeting with Headmaster Dumbledore before dinner and she would not be late.

She knocked on the door to the Headmaster's office and let herself in when enter came from beyond the door.

"Ah Minerva. Two minutes early. Allow me to get your file out and we can get started." Dumbledore began the meeting as the two talked about the school, transfiguration and Gryffindor as a house.

"Albus, I do not know how those twins do it, but they turned the third floor stairs to cheese last week. I took 35 points each, and gave them both detention with Filch. They never showed up for it either." Minerva said to her mentor.

"I am aware. Argus explained that they never showed up. I will transfer their detention to myself, and double its length. While funny, the stairs could have hurt someone since they chose a cheese that was not solid." Albus wrote a note to himself to do as he said.

The meeting continued in this vein, with Minerva updating the headmaster on the topics he cared about. Finally, however, the question that both knew would come up did. "And of Mr. Potter Minerva?"

"I am meeting with him every evening starting tonight. Since Chosen are granted Os for each of their final exams, and are not required to attend classes, I am going to have him use the time to study the theory of magic that should be taught up to 5th year." Minerva folded her hands in her lap. She waited for the Headmaster to give the advice she knew he would.

"Will it be enough for him Minerva?" The question shook Minerva from her thoughts of how to respond to the advice.

"Whatever do you mean Albus?"

"The Goblet will make these tasks much more difficult by design. The two other Chosen are prodigies in some form, and Harry does not have the same experiences in a classroom. I worry about his survival Minerva. That is all." Albus explained as he stared at his wrinkled hands, worn with age.

"I am hopeful that his family magic will help him. Diggory understands family magic better than even I. It is a branch of magic that I have always had issues with, due to its components." Minerva looked sheepish.