Diagon Alley

auroranossen on Twitter and Instagram - I will be posting illustrations!

Chapter four

Bella didn't wake up until late afternoon. She got dressed in the clothes she had worn yesterday and headed toward the living room. Snape was reading another paper with moving pictures. "Good morning sir." She said, before sitting down next to him.

He nodded toward her and continued reading. She looked at him fascinated. She had never seen a paper like that before. It was... magical! He sighed before handing her a book called "Easy potions"

She read it in silence. When Snape had finished his paper, he expected the girl to look bored. He was highly wrong there. She had her eyes wide open and her face was buried in the book. She was actually pretty quiet. He cleared his throat, but she didn't notice.

He took the book out of her hands which made her look up. "Are you hungry?" She nodded sheepishly. He made her scrambled eggs with bacon and the same orange juice he had given her the other day, though it didn't taste like anything she had ever tasted before.

He didn't know how to act around her. Obviously she was not used to people. He watched Bella eat in silence. When she finished, she sat straight up and said, "Thank you sir," she smiled at him.

He cleared his throat again before speaking. "I have some chores to do. Promise me you won't leave the house." He narrowed his eyes at her. She nodded. "Okay sir." He sighed before getting up. "I will be back in a couple of hours. If you get hungry there is food in the kitchen." With that, he left.

Just to be safe he casted a security charm over the house. If she left the house again he would know. He felt a responsibility over her and the thought of what the muggles had done to her made him sick.

Bella looked around in Snape's big house. It was beautiful and he had a private library. In her old home her parents would have her clean, so she guessed she should do the same here. She found some cleaning supplies and got to work.

Some hours later Snape came back with a bag of clothes for Bella. "Bella?" He asked. He entered the living room and saw Bella cleaning the floor. "Bella, what are you doing? You are not a house elf!" He sneered. It made her jump. What does he mean by 'house elf'?

He pulled himself together noticing the venom in his angry tone frightened the child. "Bella you don't have to pay me in any way for staying here." His voice had gotten softer. She looked down. He walked over to her and his strong arms helped her up from the floor. "Do you understand?" She made a small nod. "Good." He handed her the bag of clothes he had bought, with her in mind, in a muggle store.

Her eyes grew wide. She looked so grateful. "Thank you sir," she whispered. He nodded. It was almost impossible not to fall for her, she was so innocent.

He cleared his throat, feeling slightly uncomfortable. "Well it is late. Go to bed. Tomorrow we are going to Diagon Alley." Bella had no idea what Diagon Alley was, but didn't want to ask. Instead she nodded. "Good night sir."

Snape, who she secretly began to call 'father' woke her early the next morning. "Get up! We have a long day ahead of us." Snape left and she rolled out of bed and looked in the bag of clothes that he had given her yesterday. She picked out a pair of dungarees and a white tee shirt, which had floral patterns stitched into the fabric, and dressed in a hurry.

Snape was waiting impatiently at the end of the stairs. He passed her a pair of pink and purple trainers which she hastily shoved on her feet and then took his hand and let him drag her toward the fire place.

He handed her some green powder and she stared at it. "Well what are you waiting for? Silly girl," he almost growled at her. She looked down. Bella had absolutely no idea what he meant. "I am sorry sir, but I don't understand." Her voice was really low.

Snape felt a little sting of guilt. Of course she didn't know what she was supposed to do. She had just been introduced to the world of magic. He placed a hand on her shoulder and bent down. "I am sorry for acting like that. I am just not that good with... children. Just hold tight to me. Since it is your first time we can do it together." Bella smiled up at him. For a second and only for a second he actually smiled. Then it faded away and his face was set in his usual scowl. They stepped inside the fireplace together and she dug her head inside his robes. He held one arm around her and with the other he dropped the floo powder. "Diagon Alley!"

Diagon Alley was amazing. Snape grabbed her hand because she was hanging behind, but also because he wanted to. Diagon Alley was an alley filled with different shops. You could get school supplies, robes, wands (which pretty much looked like sticks to Bella) and much more.

They entered a store called "Ollivander's" It was a small store with dim lighting and rows and rows of shelves, which towered above her making her feel small...so small. Every single one of the shelves was filled with small long boxes. Snape cleared his throat and a man with white messy hair came to view. "Ahh Mr. Snape, what do I owe this pleasure?" The man with blue sparkling eyes and white hair asked. "My... eh... daughter... needs a wand." He said coldly. She hid a bit behind Snape's robes. She assumed that the old man was Ollivander. Ollivander narrowed his eyes at her. "Tell me, how old are you?" Father Snape sneered. "She is only nine." Ollivander held out a hand to protest, but Snape interrupted. He whispered something in Ollivander's ear and he nodded in understanding.

"Well then shall we find you a wand my dear?" The old man asked kindly. Bella nodded. "Just stay here. I will come back in a moment." Snape left her with him.

Ollivander disappeared into the pile of boxes and came back with his hands full of small boxes. Bella tried all of them, but ended up breaking Ollivander's things. "I-I am so s-sorry sir." He shook his head and smiled. "Don't worry my dear-" He stopped himself, his thoughts were wandering. "I wonder- No it is impossible... Yet-" Ollivander disappeared into the pile of boxes again. Bella hadn't understood a word of what he said. She barely knew what a wand was.

Mr. Ollivander came back with a dusty box with beautiful golden patterns. He opened it and handed it to her. It made Bella gasp. Inside there was a beautiful wand made of dark wood with beautiful golden patterns from the golden handle to the tip of the wand.

The instant Bella touched it she felt warm and light appeared. She felt really light and closed her eyes. Air was running threw her. "Get down you silly girl!" Bella lost concentration and fell down. She had been flying! Snape caught her in his arms before she hit the floor.

To be true he had never seen something like that before. Ollivander looked sheepishly at her. He nodded and put the wand back in its box before handing it to Bella again. "Use it wisely. It is made for a very powerful witch or wizard."

They left the store. A very tall giant caught Bella's eye. She pulled on Father Snape's sleeve. "What is it now," he growled. It made her look down. She went back to hiding behind him and he noticed Hagrid. Realization hit him. He gently picked her up and placed her on his shoulders. "I am sorry. I am going to try not to be so angry okay?" She nodded. Snape let her stay on his shoulders until they got to the fire place which they were going to use to get home. "Sir, can I please not do it alone?" She asked sheepishly. Snape didn't have the heart to say no. He nodded.

When they came back, Snape started to prepare dinner. He did a lot of flicking with his stick-...no eh...wand. Bella watched him in silence, completely fascinated. Snape handed the plate to her and she started eating. Snape watched her in silence before he spoke.

"Uhm.. Bella, you might not know this, but I am a professor at Hogwarts." Bella had no idea what he was talking about, but didn't interrupt. "Hogwarts is in a disclosed area of the country and the Christmas holiday ends in a couple of days." Oooh, realization hit her. She looked down at her plate and folded her hands. The Snape man had already done so much for her. She just wished she could stay with him.

"I understand sir." Her voice was only a whisper.