Chapter 14: Family Loyalties

Shade

Arrows began to rain down on us as the dragons roared and dove at the archers on the wall. I gripped Milia's hand as we threw our hands up to make a shield around our army on the ground. The arrows were deflected in time and they dropped to the ground.

Grea's green beast of a dragon crashed into the wall with it's hind legs breaking a section in the wall and making an opening so my army could get through. The dragons blew fire at the remaining archers positioned on the wall allowing Milia and I to drop our hands letting the shield down.

I drew my sword and began to run at the broken wall letting my battle cry be heard. The army ran with me screaming their own cries of battle. I jumped onto the fallen stones and jumped off of the incline that they made driving my sword into the first opponent that I saw.

The dragons moved from the second wall and started to place siege on the third wall. I cut down as many opponents as I could, but there weren't many of them left. The foul stench of burnt flesh and the sight of blackened bodies was proof that the dragons took care of most of the soldiers here.

I had no doubt into the third wall it would be much the same, but once in the castle, the dragons would not be able to help and the real fight would begin.

No arrows fired down at us, they all aimed to the sky. Most of the arrows missed, but when they met their mark dragons blood began to spill onto us. It burned our skin causing some solders to fall to the ground covering their faces in agony.

I watched as Grea's dragon swoop down and take down a section of the wall again allowing my army to push forward closing in on the castle.

The stones of the fallen wall were larger then the second walls, but I managed to climb over them swiftly before any of the kings men could challenge me. As I looked down at the kings dead men I realized that there was no one to fight here. They all must have taken shelter in the castle.

I felt someone coming up behind me and I whiled around with my sword only to find Melia standing there. I lowered my sword and she smirked at me, "We have not won yet rider, we will not win until the last man, woman and child who serves the king is dead and the kings head is on a pike."

Aralia

My eyes fluttered open as a few strands of my black hair blew across my face from Aquaria's breathe. I smiled and rolled over placing a hand on my healed stomach. It was good to be alive, but where was I and where was Shade?

I looked over around the large stone room, there wasn't a window to be seen and there was a large red curtain to what I would assume was the "door". I was laying on a small cot that was placed in the floor beside Aquaria whom still slept soundly. My clothes were ripped and bloody, but my wounds had long since healed.

I stood up carefully without making a sound or alerting my dragon. I felt for a weapon along my body but I had nothing to defend myself with if I needed to. I began to look more carefully at the walls. They were just flat stone that appeared to be smoothed by hand if I wasn't mistaken. It was also damp and the trickling of water could be heard. I was almost certain that we had to be in a cave, and most likely in the dragon haven.

I walked carefully over to the curtain and as I began to move it to the side it whipped open to revel the woman that had tried to heal me before.

She dropped the bundle of cloth she was carrying she was so started, "Milady, I'm so sorry I didn't expect you to be awake!" She curtsied low to the ground and remain like that as if she were waiting for me to tell her other wise.

I grabbed her hand and brought her up to my level and smiled, "Oh, no it's okay, you don't need to to bow or whatever to me, I'm not even royalty."