Chapter 1: Memories

Arrows rained into the battle field killing both my foes and comrades. I saw one by one as both man and racton fell to the ground of a strike of an arrow. I was unable to hold up my force field for long as I was already drained of what little magic I had before the battle began. As I let the field dissolve an arrow stuck me and I could feel the witches poison entering my blood stream. I dropped down to my knees; I would die in a matter of minutes. There was death everywhere.

As I looked into the faces of the dead I saw that they were going to be the last faces that I see and I could almost hear the agonizing cries of the widowed wives that received message of their husbands and sons deaths. But I would not be missed for my father always hated me and my mother was dead. My brother is in this battle and will surely die too, even when it was my duty to keep him alive.

Eldon was my brother and the King's only son. I was the princess of the Royal family and a sorceress. That is of course why my father sent me here; to protect Eldon and to assure my death. He had always hated me ever since my mother died; he blamed me for her death and in most ways I am to blame. She died giving birth to me. However this is not all my fault, he was the one that put the sperm in her after all. And the royal physicians and sorcerers could not save her no matter what they tried.

Out of all of the cries that I heard on the battlefield, only one stood out and then I realized that it was my brothers. I whipped my head around just as Eldon was falling. I forgot all about my wound and I crawled over to his side and took off my helmet and let my black hair tumble out. I looked in to his blue eyes that were identical to mine. He smiled up at me but his words were harsh, "That bastard made you come: he promised me you wouldn't be here. Your hurt!" he looked at me alarmed.

I said weakly, "It is witches poison. I can only heal one person and I will surly die. I have to heal you. That was why he made me come here."

He shook his head and his voice was laced with hate. "You are not supposed to even be here. You have to heal yourself and then you can give me strength. I have to tell you something that is important. Something that cannot die with me."

A tear stung my eye and I knew that he would kill me before I could heal him. I pulled the arrow out of my shoulder with a brief cry of pain and then said the ancient word for heal. "Aleath!" I felt the calm bliss of the earth's power being generated into my body. I breathed calmly as I felt the poison ooze out of the wound and drop to the ground sizzling.

When its work was done I felt weak and near passing but I let some of my strength into Eldon so he could speak.

"I did not actually think you would do that because you are as stubborn as father, and he is bloody stubborn. What I tell you will make you angry and please do not take it out on dad, it wasn't his fault. Mother never died of child birth; she died because of our father. Take what energy I have left and take my memories."

I shook my head, "I can't! I promised I would bring you back! I will hold that promise!"

Eldon's eyes began to cloud, but he still held on, "Please, you and I both know it's impossible. Take them; you need to know the truth!"

I blinked a tear away and nodded, "I love you dear brother."

I placed my hands on either side of his head and whispered a memory retrieval charm. I felt my head beginning to throb as his memories came rushing into my head. It took only a few seconds before I had my brother's life story in my own bank of memories. I took his hand in mine as he struggled to say something, but only blood seeped between his lips as my brother died in my arms.

I gave him the knights departing words, "Saltean belaguea aleana palenette." Which meant 'May the angles carry you far.' I lie down next to my brother and let all of the fatigue and weakness claim me and bring me to the darkness of his memories.