Chapter 19: A place to call home

Aralia

To get everyone organized it took longer then the hour that Grea said. Shade and I were the last ones to leave the castle or so we hope.

He was on the back of his white dragon and I was on the back of mine. Our dragons both jumped into the air at the same time. I looked to the east and I could see people heading towards the mountains following the dragons of the other riders.

I looked at Shade and pointed to the castle and city. He nodded and we swooped down. The dragons new what to do.

Fire erupted from their great jaws, blue from Aquaria's and white, the hottest of the flames, from Goliath's. The houses lit up in flames and the fire spread quickly from house to house. The torn banners that still hung on the outside of the castle lit up as we grew closer.

At the last second we pulled up missing impact with the castle itself. Flying straight up along the castles walls the fire shattered the windows and I could see the inside was beginning to burn.

We flew over top of the castle now gliding burning the roof, it gave me both sadness and peace to see it collapse inwards because no matter what I told myself I was going to miss this place and it's memories.

I looked at Shade and we both nodded patting our dragons and pulling them so they turned in the direction of the mountains.

I turned around and I couldn't help but watch the blue and white flames destroy my city, my castle

My prison.

Grea

We were now back at the haven. It was much loader then I have ever heard it. And still more and more people kept piling into the great hall. Before entering they are all stripped of weapons for my peoples protection.

Later I plan to hold an assembly to tell everyone what is going on, hopefully by that point too I will know the plan myself.

Having all the villagers and warriors of Aralia's city come back to the haven was unexpected, but there was plenty of room and this could be a great opportunity for the dragons that hide here to find they're rider.

And I knew this wasn't over yet, the ractons will come, and when they do theirs going to be another bloody battle.

Shade

We stopped flying a couple of leagues before the crowd of people because not only did we not want to frighten them further, but I wanted to have some time with Aralia.

With our dragons walking side by side I walked with Aralia, "Sweets, I-I can't stay here, at the haven I mean. I have to leave."

She stops in her tracks and for the first time I saw her with her guard down and I could read her emotions well. Pain flashed in her eyes, then confusion. "Why?"

"I can't really tell you that, but I need you to watch my dragon. Think of this as repaying me for looking after your stubborn beast." I was smirking and had a light ton, but she still looked slightly upset.

"I understand that your business is your own, but Shade stay the night here. Stay one more day, if not for your dragon then for me." Her words stung me and made me not want to leave, she has lost so much and she was about to lose me too.

I stepped close to her and brought my hand up to her face, "I'll stay one more night, but after that I have to be off, love."

She nodded being her hands up and lowering my hood. I brought my lips down to hers and I hold her close never wishing to let go.

I hope with all my heart that this haven will one day be a place we both could call home.