Chapter 10: Dragon Riders

Shade

As Aralia rode off on the back of the scums horse when the sun was slowly starting to lower from the high sky. I had to almost force Aquaria to not follow them. I wanted to get to those mountains as quickly as possible because no way in hell am I going to let Aralia go off there alone.

The princess may not show it, but I knew she was scared to go.

Walking along side a dragon was odd and slightly unnerving for me, I guess it didn't help that Aquaria was slowly getting bigger and bigger. I didn't notice it until I compared her height to mine and from this morning. In the morning her body was a foot shorter then me and now it is a foot taller. She was going to be one big ass dragon.

The mountain that Ar had directed me too was not far off so if I could manage to get Aquaria to let me fly her it would save me a lot of time to get to the castle.

I stopped and turned in front of the dragons path, she seemed to frown at me, "This is a long shot, but if we want to get to those mountains fast then I'm going to need ride you..."

She looked at me and sneezed, a small ball of blue fire popped out her nose. I held up my hands in defence, "Look, I don't like it as I am sure you don't, but we need to work together if we want Ar back."

She seemed to ponder this for a few minutes until she gently lowered herself to the ground and moved her head as if it say, get on.

I walked cautiously to stand beside her and looked up at her dark blue, almost lapis coloured spikes that ran from her head down to her tale. I grabbed on to one that was just before her neck started and pulled myself up.

I was careful not to impale myself on any of the other spikes and soon I was straddling the back of the dragon. The spike behind me of which I rested my back on was the biggest on the dragon and acted as a seat for me. I never once let go of the spike that I had used to pull me up in fear that I would fall off.

Aquaria stood up and looked back at me with a smirk on her face before she jumped into the air and began beating her wings. If I hadn't been holding on I would have fallen off.

"Shit! Aqua, are you trying to kill me?" I yelled at her, but that seemed to make her beat her wings faster so we went at a higher velocity towards the mountains.

If I wasn't holding on for dear life I would have fallen off long ago. I tried to not to look at how high we were, I never told anyone this, but I was terrified of heights.

The wind was cold and my hood blew back exposing my face and neck to the raw chill. I hunkered down more so the wind wasn't hitting straight at me and it seemed to work for a small bit until Aquaria dove to the ground.

I cursed and lost my grip on the spike and fell off to the side. I was panicked. I flailed out my arms for anything to grab onto. Suddenly I was jerked back as my cloak caught one of her spikes.

I gripped onto those spikes and not even if I was dead could you pry them from my hands at that moment. I felt us level out and then hit the ground. We skidded to a stop at the mouth of a very large looking cave.

I released my cloak from the spike frowning that there was a hole in the material and jumped off her back. I pulled up my hood and then walked up to the entrance.

I stood amazed in front of the cave looking in. Large torches lined the cave walls lighting them up. I was about the enter when I saw both men and women running towards me with swords and crossbows. There was five of them, two men and three woman. The woman at the front of the charge and stopped ten feet away from me holding her hand up to stop the others.