XVI; last moment before reality

♤ ♧ ♡ ♢

♤ ♧ ♡ ♢

   The coronation was beautiful. Ever since Narnians returned back to the castle, the whole area received much more light and warmness. Some couldn't believe that not long ago they were fighting between the high walls of the courtyard as it looked nothing alike. It was great entertainment for Idalia and Kirin to look at some sour faces Telmarines were making, especially soldiers that felt the weight of their loss upon their shoulders.

   Idalia for the first time ever felt more appropriate wearing a dress other than her warrior outfit. The dress was still green, she wanted nothing else no matter how much Susan wanted to convince her she would look great in pink. Her braid was replaced with a half up half down hairstyle that suited her greatly. She was standing among the crowd as she watched Caspian kneeling in front of Kings and Queens holding a sword and vow to always serve Narnians fair and to not fail them.

   Then Lucy placed a crown on his head and pronounced him a new King of Narnia. Idalia clapped and cheered with everyone else in the courtroom as Caspian stood to the front with his head held high and a broad smile on his face.

   The celebration was far from over when the whole party moved to the ballroom. Some of Narnia's best cooks prepared all the treats and drinks for a proper celebratory party. People were dancing, laughing, clinking glasses and drinking way too much wine and champagne. Idalia was stood the side of the dance floor exchanging words with Edmund about theories where one could hide weapons in their ballroom clothes.

   They agreed that a man was easier to do so wearing pants. But then Idalia winked at the younger king and produced a small knife from her sleeve. Edmund laughed and shook his head at the fact she was actually wearing weapons at the moment. Idalia excused it as always being prepared no matter the occasion. Then Edmund suddenly stayed silent as his eyes noticed someone behind Idalia's back. The girl furrowed her eyebrows when someone tapped her on her shoulder. She turned around only to be met with Caspian.

   ''May I have this dance?'' He bowed and offered his hand to her.

   Idalia's cheeks warmed up and she stayed silent for a couple of moments. Then she slipped her hand into his and followed him to the centre of the room. She smiled as he twirled her under their arms before he delicately placed a hand on her hip. She placed her hand on his shoulder and followed his lead as he stepped to the beat of the slow music. She could admit he was a wonderful dancer no wonder brought up with a lot of dancing classes.

   She wasn't bad either even if it was her first time dancing with someone. She did watch a lot of dances during her childhood having to be present as a servant. But this was much more enjoyable. She looked into his soft brown eyes as he looked back at her. It was like the whole world around them suddenly disappeared and it was just the two of them in each other's arms twirling to the sound of music.

   ''You look beautiful.'' Caspian breathed as his eyes flickered across Idalia's face. ''Even without all the blood on your clothes.''

   Idalia let out a laugh and lightly shook her head at his joke. But she felt flattered nonetheless. She couldn't tire of hearing him speak to her with his warm voice. ''You don't look too bad yourself.''

   She wore a smug look as she removed her hand from his shoulder. She reached up and tipped the crown a bit so it now sat sideways on his head. It produced chuckles from both of them as they continued dancing. Her eyes travelled down to his lips suddenly remembering their kiss. She couldn't hide the attraction anymore, the feelings were true.

   She didn't know if the thoughts were conjured mainly because of how much she had to drink that evening but at that moment she hoped dearly his feelings were the same. She deemed it inappropriate to ask straightforward so for now, she just let herself wonder.

   ''I can still remember the shrill fear of the day you nearly cut my head off,'' Caspian said shaking his head in disbelieve.

   Idalia hummed with her lips pursed. ''I usually never miss, so you can deem yourself lucky.''

   Caspian laughed. ''I already feel like the luckiest man on the world having you here dancing with me.''

   Idalia turned her head to the side a clear smile on her features. She was aware of his intense stare but she evaded it feeling embarrassed by her red cheeks. Caspian took a sharp turn twirling her under his arm. Idalia emitted into giggles before she was back facing him and she pressed her free hand to his chest.

   ''What happens now?'' Caspian asked taking the conversation to a more serious tone. The song slowed down and they merely swayed side to side in each other's embrace.

   Idalia frowned a little letting out a deep breath. ''Well, you have your duty of the throne now and will fulfil your passion to make Narnia home again. While there is an adventure, a search waiting for me out there on the Lone Islands.''

   Caspian stiffened when the girl in his arms was answering his question. Both were wearing frowns now, the euphoric moment from before long gone. It was as if they just faced reality and they didn't like it.

   ''You plan to leave?'' Caspian asked with a saddened tone.

   Idalia dreaded his reaction, it was not to her liking but she mustered up and looked at him anyway. ''It's hardly a plan really, but I have this feeling my family is out there and I want to find them.''

   She was telling herself that her decision was right, if there was someone out there for her she had to find them. She had to be reunited with her parents. But at the same time, she felt guilty for leaving the new people she met. For thinking of leaving Caspian behind. The connection to him was the strongest and she didn't know if she had the strength to break it.

   ''You're always welcome to stay here. As long as you like.'' Caspian said softly.

   They still swayed to the music slowly and at the same time shutting out their surroundings. Idalia saw a mixture of sadness and admiration in his eyes as he spoke. She nodded but her answer appeared different.

   ''I'm afraid there's nothing left for me here.'' She frowned.

   Idalia leaned a bit back and then slowly surveyed the room with her eyes. It was like she suddenly realised that they were dancing in the middle of a full ballroom, catching the attention of many Narnians. Her eyes caught a few bystanders that admiringly watched them dance. Then she looked back at Caspian and instead of a devastated expression she was met with a small smile.

   ''Can I prove you otherwise?''

   Idalia furrowed her eyebrows at the question. She had no time to register what Caspian meant by that as her mind forgot about what she said before that. Caspian released the hold on her hand and hugged her around the waist. Then his head lowered down to meet Idalia's lips. The girl couldn't move when she felt the soft and familiar lips on her again. Her hand instinctively flew up to Caspian's face, resting on his cheeks. Her eyes fluttered close as her mind became clouded completely. Caspian was kissing her in front of the entire room of people.

   Idalia pulled away with a slight gasp and she lingered her glance on Caspian. Then the realisation dawned upon her when clapping noise and cheers surrounded her. Her cheeks turned pink as she cast her eyes around the room. Seemingly everyone witnessed what just happened. Idalia looked back at Caspian who stood there, his arms still around her and with a broad smile on his features. Then a smile broke out on her lips as well. 

♤ ♧ ♡ ♢