XXVIII; far from home

♤ ♧ ♡ ♢

♤ ♧ ♡ ♢

   The bright orange dragon stood out from the bleak and grey island behind him as the group stood at the beach at dusk. They had nearly encountered the dragon's attack not knowing it was actually Eustace who by some way turned into the dragon all of them were watching now. He was trying to take off the golden bracelet that clenched around his wrist. By his grunts, Idalia could tell it was hurting him and digging sharply into his skin.

   ''He must have been tempted by the treasure,'' Edmund observed as he looked at the golden bracelet.

   ''Anyone knows a dragon's treasure is enchanted,'' said Caspian. Idalia nodded beside him but everyone else, especially Eustace in his dragon form, looked at them with flat expressions. ''Well, anyone from here,'' Caspian explained further, embarrassment seeping into his voice.

   Lucy moved closer to Eustace trying to pull off the bracelet. When she did the dragon roared in pain and jumped on his other leg while shaking the other. Edmund watched him with a heavy look. ''Is there any way to change him back?'' he asked.

   ''Not that I know of,'' said Caspian. He looked to his left at Idalia with questioning eyes and she just shrugged in return not knowing anything about it either.

   ''Aunt Alberta will not be pleased.'' Edmund sighed as he turned back to Eustace.

   A certain silence spread through the group as everyone tried to think of what to do next. ''The boats are ready, Sire!'' A crew member yelled from the shore.

   ''We can't leave him alone.'' Stressed Lucy, glancing between Caspian and the dragon.

   ''We can't bring him on board, Your Majesty,'' said Captain Drinian.

   For once Idalia wished that there would be an easy solution to all of this. Or that maybe Eustace wouldn't be so dumb to wander off and be greedy over gold. They could have been back at sea already and heading towards the next island, instead of being here and trying to get over another obstacle on their way.

   Caspian sighed. ''Drinian, you and the others take one boat back. The rest of us will stay here till morning and work something out.'' His voice was getting more and more thoughtful by the end almost as if the King himself was giving up. But he did want to sleep it over.

   Idalia looked at him, worry knitting her eyebrows together as she could see how frustrated Caspian was. He was always the optimist one so getting so much trouble along the road to their destination was taking a toll on him.

   Another crew member protested. ''But you've no provisions, and no means of staying warm, Your Majesty.''

   Another setback in the plan. Then the dragon, Eustace, roared and breathed fire to the middle of the group of people where one single log was laying on the floor. It lighted up and kept the fire going. First, he proved that they do have something to stay warm and second after a long day he managed to bring a smile to people's faces. Night has quickly fallen as they set down around the fire to keep warm and rolled out their beds to sleep.