XXXII; loss and gain

♤ ♧ ♡ ♢

♤ ♧ ♡ ♢

   Idalia's vision slowly cleared up and she caught her breath. Her whole body was hurting but after one look around the still dark and very wet deck she knew she avoided being killed by the serpent and that this wasn't a dream, it was very real. She could almost say it was hell on earth in that matter of moments. Someone else must have saved her from the monster. The head of the serpent was gone and it circled around the boat to the front where Edmund distracted it so Caspian could steer the ship into the rock. Idalia gasped and picked herself up, drawing her eyebrows together in pain as she observed the destroyed deck.

   What just happened?

   Her eyes flickered around but before she could figure out who saved her she was sent toppling to the floor again as the ship hit the serpent and the rocky mountain. Idalia hit her head on the floorboards and groaned in pain very loudly. Then she saw it.

   A single bloody looking dagger was laying in front of her eyes when she raised her head. She reached for it and held the familiar blade in her hands. She sharpened it herself, she renewed the leather handle too and then she gifted it to someone.

   Kirin, her eyes widened. ''Kirin!'' She screamed and scrambled to her feet the bloody dagger clutched in her hand.

   Her head turned every way as the crew was slowly picking up themselves each at their own pace. She searched the faces, she searched the bodies but everything always came up blank.

   ''Idalia!'' Caspian exclaimed and rushed to her.

   He grabbed her by her upper arms and turned her so she would look at him but Idalia kept on having a distant expression. Caspian looked her up and down and almost smiled at the fact that she was alive. ''Are you hurt?''

   Idalia shook her head when she looked up at him. ''Where's Kirin? Have you seen him?''

   Caspian took a moment to register what she was asking. His eyes panned downwards and only then he noticed the dagger in her hand that belonged to the faun. The king turned around and searched his eyes but his lips turned into a frown. Idalia had no time to scream out for her friend again when she spotted the serpent glowing gold in the distance. It was about to pounce and there were too many people on board for everyone to jump to safety.

   ''No!'' She screamed and pushed an oblivious Caspian out of the way.

   The two fell to the ground from the slippery boards and the serpent missed them mostly. Idalia cried out in pain as she clutched her abdomen and hit the floor beneath her with her closed fist in anger. Due to water everywhere she had no idea if it was blood on her clothes and armour or just seawater. Edmund rushed to the serpent and slashed with his sword, cutting off one of the weird claws. After the cut-off part laid there for a while it disappeared into a green mist.