XV; true origin

♤ ♧ ♡ ♢

♤ ♧ ♡ ♢

   ''Anything injured?''

   Idalia looked up from cleaning her sabre to see Caspian approaching her. She ran her eyes over her own limbs seeing if any of her blood could be hers because she certainly didn't feel anything hurting.

   ''No. You?'' She picked herself up from a sitting position.

   Her eyes raked over his body looking at what damage his armour has endured but other than that he seemed free of wounds, except a few scratches on his face.

   ''I should be fine,'' Caspian answered and it was clear his mind was still clouded with the battle.

   Idalia smiled and reached up to fix a strand of his hair that fell out of place. They both emitted a few chuckles lightening the mood altogether. Before she knew it he took her into his arms squeezing her tight. Her own arms wrapped around his shoulders leaning her head on him as well. She squeezed her eyes shut and relished at the moment.

   ''I'm glad that you're okay,'' Idalia whispered so only he could hear.

   She felt him nod and the rather intimate moment was over. After they released from the hug each didn't know what to do so they merely awkwardly stood there. Then their attention was captured by High Kings and Queens who were making their way to Aslan and Lucy, so the pair decided to go there as well. Susan, Peter, Edmund, Idalia and Caspian all kneeled in front of Aslan showing their gratitude for his help.

   ''Rise, kings and queens of Narnia.''

   Idalia knew to who his words were meant to. She didn't have to look to know that Susan, Edmund and Peter rose with smiled as they looked at Aslan.

   ''All of you,'' Aslan spoke again.

   Idalia looked up and saw the saddened expression Caspian was wearing. ''I do not think I am ready.'' He voiced his concerns. It made him who he is, humble and trusting.

   Only when Aslan reassured him did he slowly rise to his feet. ''It's for that very reason I know you are.''

   Caspian smiled. Idalia still remained on the ground kneeling but her look was raised so she observed the others. Aslan offered her a stern glance and Idalia pursed her lips. She knew her act was long overdue but she wondered what he would say to her. When Aslan kept quiet she finally stood up receiving a silent message just from his look.

   Then the music started playing and everyone's heads turned to see what was happening. The mice were carrying a fallen Reepicheep to the centre of the gathering. Lucy quickly took action and dropped a bit of her cordial into the little mouse's mouth. Reepicheep breathed in and sat up.

   ''Oh, thank you, Your Majesty.'' He looked up at Lucy before his glance travelled to Aslan.

   The little mouse went into a speech when he saw Aslan until her realised he lost his tail. Idalia pressed one of her hands up to her lips to force herself and not chuckle at the dramatics of Reepicheep. When she thought back she found him quite dramatic for quite a while, having him be proud he is a mouse but can still swordfight and win over men. After a few exchanged words and a great loyalty shown by all Reepicheep's companions Aslan made the mouse's tail grow back.

   Everything felt so surreal. They've just defeated the army, Aslan came back and was standing right there in front of them as if he was never gone. Idalia looked at Lucy who was beaming, the biggest of smiles tugging at her lips. Then her eyes moved at Caspian, who finally looked like he calmed down. Yet he still had to be pronounced king of Narnia. She could almost see a crown sitting on the top of his head and him sporting beautiful royal capes. When Caspian sensed she was watching Idalia already looked away with a slight frown.

   Her thoughts made a more solemn turn. It was over, they've won and now it was time to go back to their lives. She devoted her life to her Narnian friends and vowed she would die for them if needed but she didn't. She survived and now it was time for her to leave. At least she felt like that. Her adventures were to continue especially now that she found out there is more to her origin than she ever knew. Nothing was left for Idalia in Narnia, nothing that would want her to stay more than she wanted to discover her past. Her eyes looked at him again and a strange feeling reappeared in the pit of her stomach.

   ''I sense something is bothering you.''

   Idalia looked to the front. Aslan approached her with kind words. The girl didn't know how to react but after the initial shock, she nodded. Aslan moved to the side and motioned for her to follow him. She walked beside him along the river and waited for him to say something.

   ''You're wondering who you really are.''

   Idalia widened her eyes as he spoke as he read her mind. She thought she should stop being surprised by his words, he did know everything. But her answer was different almost as she tried to convince the lion and herself otherwise.

   ''I know who I am. I'm Idalia. A girl seeking adventure and peace, trying to get justice for what happened. It is my purpose.'' Her voice was strong even if her thoughts were only just getting in term with her words. She wasn't so sure about what she spoke.

   Aslan stopped and hummed lowly as he looked upon the mountains in front of them. ''That's not all of it, is it?'' He spoke but didn't look at the dark-haired girl.

   She didn't answer, she knew he knew. Her mind travelled back to the hazy vision or memory of a woman. ''Do you know?'' She asked with certain quietness.

   Aslan nodded. Idalia clenched her fists not knowing if she was prepared to hear it. But if Aslan spoke he sure thought she was.

   ''Your name is true as is the story of your arrival to Calormen. But who you grew up as was never the real you. No matter what your masters told you, you were royalty. Their actions were reasonable for their hierarchy when they found out that a baby of high class was washed up on their shore.''

   Idalia frowned. She didn't believe Aslan when he said reasonable. To her nothing from her childhood was reasonable.

   ''You were born on Doorn to the Governor and his wife.''

   Idalia parted her lips with shock. Her fists released and pain shot up her hand as she dug her nails deeply into her palms. ''Doorn? That is one of the Lone Islands.''

   Aslan offered her a smile. ''Correct. I fear that a series of unfortunate events and tendencies for human trade marketing have made your past as it is. After you were born Gumpas took the position as Governor and your fate has been sealed with his dealings with Calormene Empire. Calormenes weren't a rare sight on the islands and when Gumpas agreed to a deal you were the price he paid. Despite your parents' arguments that is how you came to Calormen. There was nothing they could do.''

   Idalia had to take a step backwards. Miraz wasn't lying. And now the memory of the woman who she figured was her mother became clearer. Yet the word princess wasn't used in the literal meaning, it was a nickname. It still didn't justify what happened to her.

   ''My family is alive?'' That was her next question as she looked back at Aslan. ''I can go there and find them?''

   Aslan kept on looking away from her with his head raised. Idalia grew frustrated as he didn't answer her but she stopped herself before she could yell. If she did she would regret it later. Tears threatened to spill as her thoughts circled around the new information. It was hard to wrap her head around thinking if just one moment in the past would be different she would still be on Doorn with her parents, growing up happy. But then she would never have come here, she would never meet Kirin, she would never learn how to fight and to survive, she would never meet Caspian.

   ''I have no answer for you, though I have a feeling you already found your family,'' Aslan spoke.

   Idalia followed his line of sight and her eyes ended on Caspian. She averted her glance to Aslan again but he already started walking away. She furrowed her eyebrows and wondered what he meant by the last thing. Though his words were helpful, Idalia could never be satisfied with the answers she got as there was always something missing. Whether it be her true identity, her origin or her family. 

♤ ♧ ♡ ♢