Midnight Jumps

Ajax really knows how to put me in a bad mood. But even though I know he was in the wrong and was a massive jerk, there is a part of me that wants to iron out everything between us and become friends again. Stupid I know. I hate this sadness now that we're not talking. I feel like blaring Evanescence or Metallica, which shows how ticked off I am. 

My anger is not unfounded or unnecessary though. He acted egotistical and plain old rude to both me and JD all night. Perhaps my little jealousy ploy worked a little too well.

I huff and turn around again in bed, only to realise there is a slit in the curtains and ethereal white light is now shining in my eyes. I cannot be bothered to adjust the curtains so I simply roll onto my tummy with my face squashed into my pillow. I will have to move again pretty soon as my breathing becomes laboured. It is already after midnight, and no matter how much I beg, sleep won't take me tonight. And it is all because of Ajax and his idiocrasy. He hasn't even bothered to apologise. He obviously doesn't care about me or our friendship. Ugh! Now I want to cry hot angry tears, but I manage to cool my racing heart beat by sitting up and taking a few gulps of icy water.

I sigh and lean back against the headboard. It is hot and stuffy in my room, even though I'm only wearing a frilly cami top and shorts, and there is a harsh winter breeze outside eager to numb your fingers and toes. Why am I so upset that a jerk acted like a jerk? Maybe because I know he isn't 100% a jerk, not all the time anyway. And maybe, just maybe I am a little more attached to him then I want to admit.

Suddenly I hear a scrambling at my window. I freeze and make my breaths shallow as I wonder whether someone is trying to break in. There it is again! It sounds like fingernails scratching at the glass. Oh God. My shaky arms reach for the baseball bat I have hidden under the bed. What? It's not like I can rely on anyone else to save me.

I slip out of bed and make my way carefully to the window, flattening my back against the wall sweeping cold into my tingly skin, and holding the bat up in a defensive manner. Deciding I would rather push the person to the unforgiving concrete floor then for them to breach my room, I step forward and rip my curtains open, jolting comically as I come face to face with Ajax, hanging precariously out of his window and reaching for mine. The moon and its scintillant companions illuminate Ajax's trembling limbs, and an orangey lamppost further along the alleyway casts dark shadows onto his Asian features. What the...

He smiles nervously as a bead of sweat rolls down his temples. I drop the bat, cringing at the thud, and scramble to open my window and stop Ajax from falling to his death.

"What the hell are you doing?" I exclaim as my heartbeat rockets in my ears.

The cool evening breeze whips my hair into my eyes and raises goosebumps on my ivory skin.

"Hi Lena. I'm sorry... I lost my phone and I wanted to apologise, I was a jerk." He admits in a strained voice as his fingers grapple at my window ledge. I wrap my hands around his biceps, wanting to stabilise him somehow, but all it does is cause a pinky blush to swirl onto my cheeks. Why are they so... firm? Strong? Muscled?

Get a grip! He could fall and die!

"Ok..." I sound a bit breathless. "But that doesn't explain why you are hanging out of your window in the middle of the night Ajax. Can you go back to your room?"

"I know... it's stupid but I wanted to see you, so I was trying to knock, and now... now I'm stuck." He groans embarrassedly making my lips twitch in humour.

"Ok," I state slowly, "what do you want me to do? Call the fire department?"

"No, no. I'm going to jump across to your room and you're going to pull me in." He states confidently as a vein pops in his forehead and his arms shake, the veins moving like coiled snakes. His hand clutching onto my window ledge is now an absence of colour, and I am sure it is going to cramp soon.