Late Night Chats

"Layla! You've got on my knees, Layla!" I sing-scream the lyrics to Derek & The Dominoes classic Layla, one of my favourite songs of all time. My sperm donor bought me the record back when he was still pretending we were a perfect, happy family.

I jump around my room crazily dancing as a form of self love. My day has been stressful with school deadlines, baby sitting and dodging Ajax. Adrian asked me if Ajax was a bad guy when we got home, and although I am not an Ajax fan I made sure to let Adrian know he is nice in his own way, we are just stuck in a childish disagreement, which is all his fault. Of course Adrian then lectured me letting me know that it takes two to argue.

My music is on the edge of being too loud, but my mom is watching some housewife drama downstairs with a glass of wine, and I think Adrian is asleep. If not I am sure he will soon storm in. I continue jamming to my music on repeat, when I hear a tapping at my window. Suspicion and curiosity overwhelms me and I quickly turn the volume down before pulling my curtains open. I roll my eyes and cross my arms over my Batman pyjamas as I remember I don't have a bra on (not that I think Ajax will be seduced by my mosquito bites), as I see him leaning out of his window with clasped hands, rings glinting in the moonlight and an easy grin on his face.

I debate yanking my curtains shut and going to bed, but what's the fun in that? I sigh and open my window with raised brows.

"Hey Lena. Nice pjs." He grins, looking adorably happy that I am talking to him. Psh, adorable? Nope!

"Hello Ajax. What is it?" I ask coldly as a chill breeze sweeps into my room and makes me shiver a little.

"Are you listening to Layla?" He asks.

"Yeah... sorry if it's too loud." I shrug, but I'm not really sorry. He's done much worse to me!

"Oh no it's fine, I'm just surprised at your taste."

"Surprised?" I chuckle as I raise an unimpressed brow. "What, did you think I was a Bieber girl?"

"Well, no - I didn't really think about it, I'm just impressed. Most people our age aren't interested in music from before they were born."

"That's true. It's a tragedy really. The eighties and nineties is where it's at." I shrug.

"That's right... Have you got Layla on record? I'm saving up for one." He reveals as he slicks his messy I-just-fooled-around-in-bed hair back.

"Yeah. I have a few actually. One minute, I want to show you my pride and joy." I exclaim as I hurry over to my collection, which is a messy but aesthetic pile on top of my drawers. "Here, have you heard of this one?" I ask as I hurry back to my window and find him waiting patiently. How did he always manage to look like a freaking model?

"Wow... is that an original?" He asks with wide eyes as I hold up my 1973 Bruce Springsteen 'Spirit in the Night' record.

"Yep." I reveal proudly. "It is most likely worth a mint."

"Yeah definitely! They are rare!" He exclaims, and it makes me feel warm inside as he looks at me with such childish excitement.

"I inherited it from my grandad when he died. Unless I need it to get me out of an arranged marriage or to save my mom and brother I'm never parting from it." I declare.

"Sorry to hear about your grandad. And an arranged marriage?" Ajax chuckles.

"Yes. No one's telling me what to do or who to marry." I promise obstinately.

"Yes I can see that. You might be the most stubborn girl I have ever met."

"Thank you." I smile. My stubbornness is one of my defining qualities.