Fairground

I didn't bless Ajax with my presence at Old Joe's last night. I am sure Kat was there supporting him anyway, unless she dipped out early with another random guy. I don't think he deserves my time and effort after ruthlessly trying to cut me out of today's 'fun' at the fairground. Even though I didn't really want to go, the way he is trying to push me out of things means I now have to go, just to spite him. What kind of friend is he trying to be anyway? A rude, BS one obviously. He can go jump off a cliff for all I care. As long as it is a safe distance to deep rock-less water below.

JD picked me up in his dads car which he is very clearly worried about smashing. An old woman that looked like she may disintegrate behind the wheel overtook us on the freeway! But JD did get us there in one piece, even though I was itching to pick up some speed. We had to park in the overflow carpark which was just an uneven field and then walk fifteen minutes to the brightly coloured attractions. 

Everyone else has already arrived, and I see Kat tapping her foot anxiously through the crowds of excited children, weary parents and chatty teens. The odd group is standing on a grassy bank, and I try not to grimace as JD and I have to squeeze our way through the queue, people grumbling that we are 'queue-jumpers'. JD takes my hand just as we push through a bridal party dressed in bright pink sashes. I could think of at least fifty places I would rather have my bridal shower. Although I may be a little biased as my first boyfriend dumped me at a fairground similar to this, revealing he preferred the girl he said I didn't need to worry about. Asshole.

"Hello everyone, sorry we are a bit late." I smile as Tiger steps forward to hug me, as does Noah. My eyes skip to Ajax who is glaring at JD's hand wrapped around my own, fighting off the cold of the chilly night. We are definitely heading into winter now, which just so happens to be my favourite season. It is like an icy serenade bringing out the warmth within. I long for days snuggled up under the duvet with a mug of hot cocoa, admiring the heaven-given snow swirling in a perfect whiteness that gives crystalline kisses. The wind is sharp but does not yet feel like an icy bite reddening cheeks and ears and tinging lips blue.

"No problem." Kat smiles. "Let's head in then. Girls?" She questions as Willa and Kia laugh over their phones together.

It takes us ten minutes to be admitted entry, and JD and I have fun trying to wind up Ajax. Well, at least I do. JD plays along as we stand too close to each other and whisper about stupid things making us laugh. I don't look at Ajax, but I can feel his gaze on us, heated and annoyed. Good.

As there is no organised queue and everyone is trying to push through instead of waiting their turn, I notice Tiger and Noah standing so close they are touching, and his hand is resting on her lower back. There is free entry into the park, but you have to pay for each ride you go on, which will probably end up being quite expensive. 

The fairground luminously glows against the black sky in a myriad of colours. Dazzling lights flicker and flash as rides accelerate and tempt people to queue. They hurtle through the sky as the rich scents of popcorn and hot dogs waft through the air. The place is alive with booming music, exhilarated screams and cheerful shouts of friends greeting one another.

Tacky rides with vibrant, pulsating lights loom over us as we decide which rides to head to first. There is a Ferris wheel in the centre of the park decorated with pretty fairy lights which we decide to leave till last. We settle on the rollercoaster spiralling and coiling like an elongated snake twisting through the fair, although Willa reveals that she is scared of rollercoasters so is going to look after our bags and 'check out the cute boys'. My eyes drift to Ajax. Willa begs someone to stay with her, and Kia is the first to give in, although she looks up at the ride dreamily with a sigh. I feel bad that she has to miss out because of her kindness, so I offer to go on with her again after, and she nods her head excitedly, her Atlantic blue eyes sparkling with thanks. Just as we are about to join the queue, a group of squealing, excitable young teens push past us and race up the metal steps making Kat curse at them.