april 12th

"you feeling okay today dream? up for some minecraft with your pals?" sapnap asked, right when the ding of someone joining the discord vc sounded.

"feeling okay? dream, what's wrong?" george's icon lit up green as he voiced his concern, curious as to what was up.

as if on que, dream coughed violently; george being around never made this easier, and him caring for dream but merely as a friend? the disease fed off of that like a parasite.

he muted between coughs before rushing to the bathroom. the petals would be gorgeous if they weren't tinted with blood and didn't come from his own lungs. maybe he'd appreciate them more if they came from a bouquet, but he, quite reasonably, decided he never wanted to see carnations again once this was over.

if this ever ends. which, dream knew it wouldn't.

it was hard to think in the mindset of "hey you're dying!" when it came so suddenly. he didn't think he'd be worrying about death for another 50 years.

he hunched against the sink, looking at himself in the mirror.

god, dream was a wreck.

~~

george sat in his room, confused but relatively unconcerned. it was a bad cough, but he trusted dream to take care of himself.

sapnap reassured him it was just a bad cold mixed with spring allergies, and he shot dream a text telling him to go with that story.

by the time dream came back, the two had carried on, bickering over whether the other stole their armour or robbed their chests in their minecraft smp.

in reality, it was probably just tommyinnit, but the two had a brotherly bond and that meant all the fighting that went with it.

dream opened the text from sapnap, sighing in relief. well, atleast he had the next week or so covered. after that? well, he didn't think he'd be so lucky.

he unmuted himself finally, trying to put energy into his voice.

"do you guys fight every time i'm gone?"

"he started it!" both exclaimed, and dream knew that if they were next to each other, they'd be pointing fingers and all.

man, he loved his friends.

~~

they played for hours into the night, badboyhalo jumping on for a bit as well, all with dream muting often to cough. still, he appreciated the laughter they provided; truly, it was a gift.

eventually, sapnap hopped off and bad had left prior to him, leaving dream and george in the call. dream panicked immediately, scared something would go wrong.

but george, he just looked out of his window into dark and dull england, and laughed slightly, still on a high from the enjoyment he gets whenever he's with his friends.

"maybe i can meet up with you guys one day." he sighed, resting his chin on his palm.

"you want to fly here? to america?"

"of course i do! it's been so long since we've been friends and i haven't met you guys, nor have i met quackity or karl, and hell, i haven't even seen your face. i'll just go see you all, even if i have to travel to 8 different states; gogy on tour! i'm gonna pop off with that."

it was a lovely idea and dream would have appreciated it months ago.

now, he just stayed silent. it was enough to murder george's excitement; a clean one-shotter at that.

"anyways," the brunet said, sensing he had hit uncomfortable territory, "i'm gonna go to bed - i'm sorry. just kinda tired."

"george it's like almost 6 am, of course you're exhausted."

george smiled sheepishly, shrugging even though dream couldn't see it.

"goodnight dream!"

"talk to you later george."

dream was scared. one day, goodnight would mean goodbye, and the concept of later would no longer exist.