Chapter 31

Ebony's POV

Taking I-80 back to Patterson took us an hour. On the way, I called Robby, Sam, and Aly and told them to come home immediately, no matter what. They were waiting for us as we came in. Everyone stood and started speaking at once. I held up a hand.

"I don't have much time. Loki has an invasion force on its way and we need to get you all away from the city as soon as possible. Grab only the necessities and go to my house for now. Now! Go!" I pushed them towards their rooms but Robby refused to budge.

"Where are you going?" He demanded.

"I have to tell the response team what I've learned, it'll give them something to work with."

"Eb, you can't go back there if there's-"

I shoved him hard. "Shut up and move, Robin! We don't have time to argue. I will handle myself."

Liv grabbed him and looked at me. "Go. Be careful. We'll see you at home."

I didn't take the time to say goodbye. By the time I was back on the highway, it was deserted in my direction. I hadn't seen any chaos or destruction but as I got closer to Manhattan I could see a beam of blue light stretching towards the sky.

There was a line of cars heading in the other direction. The evacuation had begun which meant I would hit a roadblock soon. I slowed the Jeep down and stared as black shapes rained down from the sky. Even from here, I could hear the screams.

The roadblock was at the entrance to the Washington Bridge. I got out and waved my hands, trying to shut up the shouting soldier. "I have to get into the city!"

"Ma'am no one is getting in. We have to-"

I pointed to the large SHIELD logo on his arm. "Call Nick Fury and tell him I need clearance."

His eyes grew wide and he turned to look at his commanding officer. The man nodded, pulling out a phone. He turned away and spoke quietly to someone, turning often to look at me from over his shoulder. He paced the roadblock as he talked. Finally, he nodded and hung up.

"She's an essential asset to the team, apparently." He grumbled. I smiled as he waved me forward. "Let her through before the army comes in and mucks up something for me." He unclipped the gun from his side and looked at me suspiciously. "You know how to use this?"

I nodded and he handed it over.

Hopping back into the Jeep, I sped on. I was hoping I could make it to Stark Tower. If there was any place to contact Tony and the others, that had to be it. Squinting at the skyline, I cursed as I realized that was also exactly where the beam of light was coming from. Loki was there. But what had come with him?

Finally arriving in the main part of the city, I jumped out. The roads were blocked with cars and rubble. It would be too dangerous to drive. New York City was in ruins, an actual battlefield. I held the handgun firmly, pointed down. I sprinted through crowds of screaming civilians and hid from hordes of those strange robotic aliens. That thing that came and took Loki that one night must have been a Chitauri. That's what Nick had called them, at least. Maybe it had been a leader, he wasn't robotic like these.

I looked up as Tony flew past me. "Tony!"

He paused and twisted around to see me waving at him. Something screamed in my ear and I turned, firing the gun, jerking as it fired into the face of an alien. I rubbed my ear and waved at Tony. He flew back to me, shooting a few Chitauri.

"Gray, what are you doing here?"

"Helping. I need to get to your Tower. Can you give me a lift?"