Chapter 9

Cam, my first "love" and my first real heartbreak. The man who had chosen my once best friend over me. The man who stood in front of me right now, acting as though I was in the wrong for having someone with me.

I looked over his tanned skin and short, dirty blond hair. His dark brown eyes shifted from Loki to me, filled with shock and betrayal. I took a deep breath and let it out slowly. It had been a year and a half since we'd last spoken. After so long forgetting rather than forgiving, I felt strangely apathetic towards Cam.

"Ebony! Who is this?" He demanded.

I fought the urge to step closer to Loki. This was my fight; I could handle him. Nonetheless, Loki stepped closer to me.

He answered before I could open my mouth. "I am Loki. And you are?"

Cam glared up at him. "I'm her boyfriend."

"Ex. Ex-boyfriend." I said through gritted teeth.
My hands folded slowly into fists. Closing the door, I flicked on the rest of the lights and turned a glare to Cam. "Can I help you?"

He came towards me. "Eb, baby, I told you we just needed some space. I told you I'd come back once I'd sorted myself out. You don't think I stopped loving you, do you? I was always going to come back to you. I made a mistake, that's all." He frowned and held his hands out in a pleading manner.

I frowned. "Sorry, I'm pretty sure I told you never to step foot in my house again. You never did give me back my key." I held a hand out. "I'll take that."

He laughed but it was hollow and almost panicked. "Come on, just hear me out. Can we talk? Without him?"

Loki huffed and folded his arms. "I won't be
leaving you with her."

I kept my hand held out. "Key. I don't want to talk."

That pleading look turned to offense and he looked between me and Loki again. I almost laughed. As if he had the right to be offended. "You're just gonna shove me over for this guy? After all we had?"

I raised a brow. Okay, so had he forgotten that I caught him in my bed with my friend? Was that just water under the bridge to him now? Screw that, I wasn't about to be walked over. "What did we have, Cam? A six month relationship and then four months of you cheating on me? Save me the apologies and excuses. Just give me my key and get out."

"Eb-"

"Out!" I shouted, grabbing for the keychain on his belt loop. He jerked away and glared at me. I clenched my jaw and slapped him. "I said give me my key and get out! Or I'll call the police! Now, Cameron!"

He rubbed his cheek, his brown eyes flashing with an all too familiar anger. "You little-"

"Don't you dare." Loki growled.

Cam paused and glanced at Loki. "Stay out of this."

Loki stepped forward, standing chest to chest with Cam. They were almost the same height but Loki was taller by a few inches. Cam tried to look unaffected but I caught his eyes scanning Loki, trying to decide if he was a threat. Slowly, almost unconcerned, Loki unclipped the key and threw it over his shoulder. I caught it and threw it on the table. Loki tilted his head. Cam reared back enough to pull his arm around for a punch. Loki ducked under it and spun, stopping behind Cam. He pulled him into his chest and wrapped one arm around Cam's neck. Cam choked and tugged at Loki's hand. I could see the sudden fear and surprise in his eyes.

Skinny and wiry though Loki was, he kept a lot of strength and power hidden inside. His arm tightened. His voice was nothing more than a low growl. "Listen to me and listen well. I have no qualms about ending your insignificant life. I would relish the feeling of your windpipe collapsing under my hands as the light fades from your eyes and your lungs scream for mercy. Do you understand me?"