Chapter 12

Loki's POV

I went inside, trying to clear my head. Ebony set about making something for lunch, calling to ask if I was up for a hike. I nodded absently and closed the bedroom door. I sat on the bed and put my head in my hands, sighing. What was I doing? Courting this mortal? She'd brought out the good in me, of that I was sure. I no longer saw these people as so beneath me. And I knew she was right this morning. It was time I chose a path that was not affected by the thoughts of others. I could manage that. Change was not so terrible with her by my side.

On the drive back to the cabin, I wondered just how much she cared for me. Was it enough for her to stay with me? Enough for her to put up with me for years on end? I had to admit it to myself at this point. I truly did care for her. It was too late to back away now. I was tied to her and even if I wanted to, I could not cut those strings so easily. But to care for her at all - it was madness! I couldn't keep her. Eventually, she would grow old and then what? Would she want me to leave?

I'd tried not to think about it but I couldn't hide it anymore. Now it was a question of should I tell her or not? What would she say? Did she care for me in return? Could she? Could she bear to trust me, the god of lies? I sighed and lay back, staring at the ceiling. I'd mocked Thor for his soft heart, falling for a mortal the way he had, and so quickly. I knew all too well what it led to. Heartbreak and loneliness eventually. I had thought him foolish to fall prey to it. And yet, here I was, falling for this woman, for a mortal all over again.

"Loki?" I sat up and watched her as she opened the door and sat next to me. "What's wrong? The nightmare still?"

I nodded. "It's not as simple as just thinking that I want to change and doing it."

She rubbed my chest gently and pressed a lingering kiss to my temple. "I know. It will take time and effort but it's not impossible. Wanting to change is a good sign. Don't let it discourage you."

I smiled wanly. "You are wise for one so young."

She laughed. "What about you? You've gotta be a thousand years older than me."

I shook my head. "In truth, I am young. To you, old, yes. But to Asgardians and in relation to your lifespan, I am actually a little younger than you."

"Weird." She muttered. She wrinkled her nose. It was a movement that I couldn't resist. I leaned up and kissed her quickly, impulsively. She grinned and I smiled in return.

"I'm not very hungry. Go ahead and eat and then we can go."

She bit her lip and crossed her legs, watching me. "Are you sure? If you're not feeling well..."

"Oh, I'm fine. Go on." She nodded reluctantly and went to eat. I sighed and swung my feet up on the bed, kicking my boots off as I did. I closed my eyes and relaxed further into the mattress, letting my thoughts delve further into the workings of my own heart.